Chapter 15: A Bond

Over the next few weeks, Donovan continued to heal people. Oriana allotted two days a week for people to come. That way, Donovan was able to get some rest. Not to mention, he seemed uncomfortable with all the people swarming him. The Mage didn't mind the praise; it was the people who hugged him. Those who thanked him for changing their lives seemed to make Donovan uncomfortable. By the end of the second week, he got more used to it. Though Oriana could tell that it was unnatural for him, either way, she was too excited about the trip to Asra to really prod him about it.

It would be Donovan's first event in high society. It was customary for nobles to arrive in their kingdom's colors, as well as their courtmages. For Barough, their colors were pink, white, and gold. One of the pieces she had made for him was a silken surcoat meant for lavish events such as the one they were going to. The surcoat was a brilliant white, with long golden sleeves. The material stretched over his broad chest, playfully hinting that he had strong, bulging muscles.

There was even a flowing pink cape with a gold inlay to offset the bright white material of his robes. A sparkling golden chain adorned his cape, securing it tightly to his shoulders, which was adorned with a quartz circlet. The outfit was completed with golden calf-high boots. It was obvious the princess had spared no expense in making sure everything was tailor fitted. All he would have to do was wear a crown, and he would look like the new King of Barough. 

By the time Oriana was ready, she looked rather beautiful herself. The long, pink silken dress showed off her soft, creamy skin with a curved shape in the front as well as the back. Delicate white embroidered roses raced up the middle of her dress and around the cuffs of her long sleeves. Her long hair was left loose and curled as it spilled down her back like a golden waterfall. A small, delicate golden circlet, inlaid with beautiful pink diamonds, glittered atop her head. The gold had been shaped into swirling patterns, adding to the amazing craftsmanship. And in the center, a rare star ruby stood out brightly from the other gems, all perfectly cut and polished.

Oriana would come out of her bedroom to find Donovan waiting for her. "You look quite handsome," she told him with a warm smile.

"Thank you. I don't mind pink, but I do prefer the color red. I guess I will have to deal with it." Donovan replied, looking at his outfit before looking at Oriana. He gave her a smile and said, "Though you look beautiful as well, the dress really brings out your breast features... your best features."

Oriana felt a bit embarrassed at his comments, looking down at her chest before saying, "Do you think it's too much?"

Donovan put his finger on her chin, making her look up at him before saying, "You look divine, the loveliest woman in all of Lanoria." Looking right into his eyes, Oriana practically melted. But she felt something was wrong with Donovan. He seemed to fidget and almost tremble.

Killian had walked in at that moment and saw the way the two of them looked with Donovan's finger on Oriana's chin. The princess looked up at him with rosy cheeks. He would glare at Donovan before speaking, "We are leaving the Princess in your care overnight for the first time since you arrived, Donovan. If I keep seeing you put your hands on her, I will go to the theater in your place!"

Donovan removed his hand from her chin and replied, "You have a dirty mind, old man. If a knight cannot tell his princess how beautiful she is, then chivalry will die in Barough."

"Watch your mouth! I am still your superior! Not to mention, you're a mage! Not a knight!" Killian barked back, but Donovan just winked at him, infuriating the old man.

Killian turned to face Oriana, giving her a warm, proud smile. "You have grown up to be such a beautiful woman. I know the only time you get out is to visit Lanor. So have fun tonight and don't let this big oaf ruin it."