Chapter 6: Head of the Table

Since the cooks had been preparing for the competition to be over, many of the dishes were completed. It was only about a half hour that they would have to wait. There was plenty of time to heal those who were still alive. Not to mention, give the rest of them time to clean themselves up and prepare for the feast. Oriana had quickly returned to her room to change for the evening meal. When she opened the door, however, she was surprised to see Donovan.

"I was hoping to get a chance to talk to you again. Congratulation!" she told him. "That was a very intense battle! I am happy that you will be the courtmage standing by my side."

"Oh? Did you enjoy that fight, princess?" Donovan mused.

"I did! It was quite suspenseful," she told him. "Also, thank you for the handkerchief. It was very much needed. I do tend to get very queasy around the sight of blood," she explained.

"Figured as much," he said with a shrug. The two of them walked side by side towards the dining hall.

The dining hall opened up to a large table; each side had been lined with comfortable cushioned chairs. There were large silver platters piled high with different foods. The table itself was set with pewter plates and cutlery. On the table before them, matching chalices sparkled in the candlelight. A roaring fire in the hearth would keep them all warm and comfortable. At the head of the table, the princess had a slim, high-backed chair inlaid with golden leaf and crafted with ornate flourishes. A similar ornate chair had been provided for Prince Tyir at the opposite end.

The dining set for the Prince and Princess was by far the most ornate, decorated with precious gems on a golden plate. Matching golden cutlery with precious stones in the handles glittered in the light. All of the decorations and tableware were by no means new but lovingly preserved from hundreds of years ago. It was a sight to behold. The moment Donovan entered the dining hall, his eyes lit up. There was so much wonderful food! He licked his lips in anticipation of a delicious meal.

Oriana would take her place at the front of the table, but she didn't touch any of the food. She wanted to wait until her guests had arrived before she ate. 

"Donovan, please sit beside me. It will be your spot at the table from now on," she told him, motioning to her right. Killian would always have his place to the left of her. Besides Killian, Celsy had her own place. Everyone else could sit where they wanted.

When she motioned for him to sit beside her, Donovan nodded and said, "I will be right back."

Activating his speed spell, Donovan would swiftly vanish. The only thing missing was his plate. Meat, fruit, bread, vegetables, mead, and everything else on the table began to vanish as well. Donovan was not holding back. The only things that seemed to appear were plates full of food. After a moment, Donovan appeared in the seat. Five plates of food were stacked high in front of him.

"I had to borrow some plates from the kitchen, but I don't think they will care!" Donovan shouted before he shoveled the food into his mouth at a rapid pace. Bite after bite, the food seemed to just disappear. For the first time, the princess would see how much food it would take to feed his large body. It didn't seem to be much longer before Tyir joined them.

"I was wondering where you were," Oriana told him. She didn't want to eat if everyone wasn't there.

"I went to get you from your room, but you weren't in there." Tyir told her.

"I'm sorry, I came in with Donovan. He was starving and couldn't wait any longer," she said, turning her attention to the large mage. She had thought there was no way he could eat all five plates, but perhaps he would prove her wrong. Donovan had already devoured two of the plates in what seemed the blink of an eye.