Chapter 18: The Show

The theater's entrance hall was just as stunning as the outside. The entrance was lined with a long red carpet, and at its center there was a large staircase that led up to the second floor. Large, gilded columns lined the outside of the entrance. In between the columns were various doors that led to different parts of the theater, ones the performers could use. However, in between the foremost columns on either side were large glass-less windows. One where tickets were sold to the guest.

Donovan himself was more focused on the centerpiece of the room, where a large, ornate statue of Asorath stood. Two rubies were set in place as its eyes, glittering in the light, seemed to glow from within. 

Oriana could see where his eyes were. "I think this is the first time today that your eyes have been focused somewhere else besides my chest and behind," she teased.

Donovan let out a playful grunt. "Oh? Are you getting jealous?" Donovan replied.

Oriana chuckled and said, "Yes, just a little. I guess I could let it go. I mean, as long as it is Asorath and not another woman."

"You know, they say Maximus Alvisio was given the eyes of Asorath. His eyes glow an eerie red. Those who look into them go mad, forced to face the darkest parts of their soul. Rumor has it that only those with a pure heart can look into his eyes. What do you think would happen if you looked into his eyes?"

Oriana looked up at the statue's ruby eyes and replied, "I'm not sure." She said honestly, "But I think if I ever get the chance to meet Maximus Alvisio, I doubt his company is as great as yours."

Donovan chuckled. "You're sweet, but I bet you would fall for him," he teased.

"I'm not interested in him. I want someone special to love me, like how I feel about him," she said.

"You make it sound like he's incapable of emotions," he questioned.

"Everyone is capable of love," she said softly as she smiled at him.

Donovan made a little sound, as if amused, and asked, "Where are we sitting?"

She pointed to the staircase not too far away and said, "Up there, will you guide me?"

Donovan nodded and led Oriana up the staircase. As they reached the top, an usher dressed in a red suit, trimmed in gold, came before them. Bowing, he said, "Princess Oriana, please allow me to show you to your seat."

Oriana replied, "Thank you; please do." 

With that, the two of them were guided down a hallway. It wasn't long before they arrived at their door, and the usher opened it up. Donovan led Oriana into the luxurious circular room. It was as large as she remembered. The chair in the middle of the room was made of black wood and lined with plush red velvet. The walls were decorated with golden etchings. In front of the chair was a red curtain. Behind it, no doubt, was the theater. The curtain was there to provide privacy for the nobles who sat up top.

"Only one chair?" Oriana asked the usher.

He nodded and said, "I apologize. Sir Killian directed us that only one would be needed."

Oriana frowned. "I will not be taking my seat until my courtmage has a chair. Actually, that might be too small for him. Please bring a couch instead. Also, bring food. Lots of food. Enough to feed ten guests." Bowing at her words, the usher quickly ran off.

Donovan looked at Oriana and said, "You didn't have to do that for me."

Smiling, she looked up at him. "I wanted to. I know you're anxious, and that food makes you happy! Not to mention, I am sure you are hungry. So, I want to make sure you are taken care of."