CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR

"Quartz Lennon to the front office! Quartz Lennon to the front office!" Quartz lifted their head, their hair messy from being rubbed on the wooden table. She look at her teacher, Mr Pi, who was a short Chinese man with black hair and a balding hairline, "Grab your bag," he said with a frown, annoyed from his lesson being interrupted.

She grabbed her bag, placing their pencil case and water bottle in it in her bag. She looked over to Nessa and Tiffy who were giving her a reassuring thumbs up.

The walk to the front office was short but tiring, the hot weather instantly making them tired and in need of a glass of water.

The front office is a small building near the front gate, Quartz hadn't spent much time there, she usually avoids getting herself into trouble. "Hi, I was called over the speakers."

The lady at the front desk looked up at her, giving her judging eyes, Quartz shuffled her stance self-consciously, straighten her back and unfolded her arms. The office lady almost looked impressed. "Miss Gracie and Mrs Chase will see you soon, take a seat."

"Mrs Chase? What!? Why does the principal want to see me?"

The lady shrugged, "How would I know? Take a seat and you'll find out soon."

Quartz glared at the lady before taking a seat, Quartz tried to think of everything she has done wrong lately but nothing came to mind. Their grades were the same, an average B+, she had been completing all of her homework and wasn't causing trouble in class. Maybe she was called into here for something simple, maybe she needs to show around a new exchange student. Although she doubted she wasn't in trouble, she kept telling herself that was the case.

"Quartz?"

"Yes, that's me."

"Follow me, lovely."

When Quartz entered the office she instantly knew something was from, Miss Gracie was looking at Quartz as if she was glass. "Have I done something wrong?" Quartz snap out, they intended for their voice to be confident but instead, she experienced an unfortunate voice crack.

Miss Gracie looked over to Mrs Chase, they exchanged a small nod. Quartz fidgeted with their hands underneath the desk, Duusu placed a reassuring hand on Quartz's lap.

"Your test has been graded and Quartz, we have something to discuss."

"Okay..." Today is the last day of the term, they took their end-of-term tests last week, Quartz hadn't gotten time to study the night before but still thought they did pretty good.

"You got a C- on four out of six of your classes, Quartz." Miss Gracie grabbed out her report card, Quartz snatched the card off of her and read them.

"I- I don't understand how that's possible," she read through the different classes, she had two Bs (in English and art) but the rest of her grades were just a pass, maybe she didn't do as good as she thought.

"Your grades aren't the only thing getting worst, Quartz, so is your attendance."

'Shit.' Quartz knew her attendance was bad, being a superhero and all. Quartz hoped that if their grades stayed the same then the school wouldn't care. Obviously, she was wrong.

"Quartz, you know the agreement of the exchange. If your grades keep getting worst we will need to send you home."

"No!" Quartz launched out of their chair. Quartz misses their family, but they can't go home, not now.

Miss Gracie stood up carefully, she held out her hands and calmly spoke, "Quartz, calm down. This is just a precaution, we aren't sending you home today."