Chapter IX- Reading To You

A/n: Any "characters" Bronwen speaks of aren't real and the definitions of their names aren't what she says either.

I couldn't get my mind off of the idea of Adonis' celebration. I couldn't wrap my head around why I was feeling the way I did. Was it perhaps excitement? Why would I be so excited about some celebration? I've never been so overjoyed about one before. We have them all the time.

Maybe it's because it was Adonis who had the idea and not my parents. My eyes widened at the thought and I stopped combing through my hair at my dressing table. I rolled my eyes. "Such a silly thought, there's nothing special about him," I muttered to myself. I soon continued to do my hair.

However, I stopped when my door opened. I looked in the mirror and saw my mother enter the room. My eyes widened and I scrambled to stand up and face her. "M-mother! What are you doing here?" I asked nervously.

Her sharp hazel eyes turned to me after inspecting my room. She walked over to me. "Sit," she ordered. I slowly did as she said and sat down on my stool. She grabbed my hairbrush and my long locks. She began to brush through my hair. "Your father and I will be leaving for a trip in two days, we want you to go with us. We'll leave at noon," she explained.

I gaped at her, quickly recovering and composing myself. "What for?" I inquired, wincing as she pulled my hair rather roughly.

She grunted, feeling a knot in my hair. She harshly pulled the brush through it and I tried not to make a noise. "Your father has a business opportunity and he wants to seal the deal as quickly as possible. This will mean great things for the family if we can get them to cooperate with us," she confessed. By that I guessed that meant that this deal could bring in even more money.

I frowned. I'd have to tell Adonis and the phantoms that I couldn't go to their celebration. I sighed, feeling melancholy. I stayed silent after that and let my mother brush through my hair. I looked down when she put my brush back on the dressing table and began to put my hair up.

It hurt when she pulled on it to make it as tight as possible and I sucked in a breath every time. When she was finally done she added hair accessories to help it stay together. "There," she said, huffing. She smiled and put her arms on my shoulders, staring at her work in the mirror. "Don't ever forget how beautiful you are, Kikimora," she spoke in a normal voice. It was rare, she usually sounded annoyed all the time.

I looked up at the tone of her voice and stared at her in the mirror. She looked genuinely happy and loving. It's something I haven't seen in a very long time. I couldn't stop myself from letting my jaw drop a little.

She let out a breath and backed away. "Well, I should being going now." She patted down her dress. "I'll being informing the maids to prepare your luggage. Make sure to prepare yourself as well," she said, her usual stern tone reappearing. I nodded at her and she left.

I always knew that my mother mostly just followed and did as my father said and that she wasn't as mean as she came across. Still though, it was strange to see her act in such a way towards me. I don't think I could remember the last time that has happened.

I stood up and straightened out my dress. I mentally prepped myself for the oncoming conversation I would have with Adonis. I stole one last glance at my hair in the mirror before turning around and heading out of my bedroom.

I walked down the hall for a while until I was outside Adonis' room door. I hesitated before knocking. Did I really want to do this? No.

I knocked on the door and a few seconds later it opened up to reveal Adonis. Parts of his hair were out of place and he was only in trousers and a dress shirt. I gaped at him and looked away as quickly as possible.

I stammered. "Uhm- uh, I wanted to inform you that I... I-" I cut myself off, unable to tell him. I looked up at him, staring into his eyes. He waited patiently for me to continue. I groaned, not thinking  my decision through before I made it and spoke my thoughts. "No. Actually, I will be going to the celebration in a few days," I said determinedly to myself.

It caught me off guard when I heard him chuckle. I said it out loud..! "Yes, I know. You've already given me your answer." He laughed in amusement. I shyly giggled, twisting a piece of my hair. He gazed into my eyes. "Is there anything else you needed, Mora?" He asked kindly.

To be honest, I blushed a little at the nickname. "Uh- no, sorry I bothered you," I quickly mumbled out.

He shook his head. "You're never a bother to me, my dear," he stated gently. My blush deepened and I turned my head away from him.

I exhaled through my nose. "Well, I should be going now, thank you for your time." I nodded gratefully towards him, though without making eye contact.

I quickly began to walk away. "Oh and Mora," I paused and glanced back at him. "Your hair looks lovely," he complimented me before closing the door and going back inside his room.

For some reason, my eyes widened and I had to take a deep breath. I turned back around and speed-walked to my room. However, my journey was interrupted when one of the other's doors opened. Two phantoms stepped out, seemingly having a silent conversation with each other.

They stopped what they were doing when they caught sight of me. I noticed it was the dark haired muscular one and the raven haired one with heterochromatic eyes. I smiled a little at them. "Hi," I greeted.

They nodded and the well built one gave a small wave. I let out a small giggle. "Would you two like to join me in reading a book?" I asked sweetly. It took a moment for them to shrug and give small nods as their answers. I chuckled. "Come on, I have some books in my room," I explained, leading the way to my bedroom. I could hear their footsteps not too far behind me.

I opened the door to my room and walked inside, holding it open for the two of them as well. They stepped inside and waited patiently as I closed the door and walked over to my bookshelf. I scanned for a good book. I paused in thought. "Do you want me to read to you?" I asked softly.

They glanced at each other, seemingly in thought. Then, they looked back at me and nodded again. I smiled at their actions and grabbed a book. I stepped over to my bed and sat in the middle. I patted the two spots on either side of me for them to sit down.

It looked like they were hesitant, but eventually, they both came to the bed and sat on each side of me. The buff one was to my left and the raven haired one was on my right. I let them get comfortable before I flipped to the first page and began reading out loud.

~{}~

After a while of reading I paused. I realized that the two phantoms next to me reminded me a lot of two characters I'd read about in books. I hummed, glancing at each of them. I watched them give me questioning eyes from behind their masks.

I put my hand to my chin. "You know, the two of you are actually quite a bit like some characters in the books I've read," I mentioned. I saw them look at each other. I looked at the brunette. "You remind me of a character named Kimaris. He was strong and caring, but also had a fun, goofy side when it came to his loved ones. It reminds me of when you and the others mess around." I laughed a little.

I saw his eyes change to a look of surprise. It was barely noticeable, but I saw it. Then I turned to the other one. "You remind me of Malachi, he's beautiful, quiet, and kind," I stated. It didn't look like either of them knew how to react to my comments about them.

I hummed in thought. "Can I call you two those names? Do you like them?" I inquired curiously. I gazed at them as they stared. It only took a few more seconds before one nodded, then the other. I grinned with glee. "Thank you, now I know what to call you two!" Kimaris and Malachi, yeah, it was fitting.