Chapter XXII- From The Once Holy

I laid curled in a ball, still against Adonis in the carriage. We met up with the others in the other carriage earlier. Elwin and Valerian swapped places so now Elwin was riding with the others while Valerian was with us. Kimaris was now in control of the other carriage the others were in.

I felt drained as Adonis ran his hand through my hair. "Why didn't you come sooner?" I murmured softly. I couldn't stop myself from playing with the sleeves of my dress.

Adonis didn't stop his hand's movements. "I cannot interfere with the living without a person's consent. I had to wait for an opening," he answered in a gentle tone. I glanced up at him. I understood. How could the Devil be so evil if he couldn't do anything without being given permission? How stupid humans were.

I nodded at him. Then, another question popped into my head. A question I should've asked hours ago. "Where are we going?" I asked curiously, leaning my head on the man's shoulder.

I heard him chuckle, which made his shoulders shake a little. "Right now, wherever the world takes us. We have no real destination," he responded. I could hear the smile in his voice.

I didn't know how to feel about his reply. I had no reason to argue. I wondered where we'd end up. I yawned as the day had finally caught up to me. Of course, it was already past dark at the time. "Go to sleep, Mora," Adonis' dark voice whispered into my ear. It sent shivers throughout my body. I nodded sleepily.

Aura walked through the town, holding a basket of bread. She was looking for something that would spark her interest. And by that, it meant that she wasn't really paying attention to where she was going.

Which also meant that it came as no surprise that she bumped into someone. She stumbled backwards, trying not to fall. A hand caught her waist and she looked up at her savior. "Thank you," she sighed.

The man nodded and made sure she was stable before releasing her from his grip. "You're welcome. Not really paying attention to where you're going, hm, my dear?" He teased.

Aura chuckled. "No, I'm sorry. It's sort of a bad habit." She laughed, covering her mouth with her hand. "I'm Aura," she stated kindly. "Are you new around here? I've never seen you before," she mentioned, quirking a brow at the taller male as she grinned.

The man smiled down at her. "Adonis. And yes, my friends and I will be staying for a while," he replied, motioning behind him. Aura followed the direction with her eyes and saw a group of men with different, unique-looking masks.

She looked back at Adonis, catching him staring into her crystal blue eyes. "Aw, that's sweet. Well, I must get back to the church now, but if you ever need something, don't be afraid to ask," she beamed as she began walking away, waving at him. The raven haired male hummed in thought as he watched her leave.

Aura made her way back to the church, sure she would get scolded by the older sisters for getting distracted yet again. She couldn't help it. She wanted something different in her life. Something exciting.

She made it to the front of the holy building, already seeing a sister tapping her foot impatiently. "Aura, what took you so long?" She asked in annoyance, following the younger girl inside.

Aura smiled at her like it was nothing. "I met a new person in the village today. He said he and his friends will be staying. Isn't that exciting? New people!" She cheered, throwing her arms into the air and spinning around on her way to the kitchen.

The other sister dodged the raven haired girl's flailing arms as she frowned. "Sister please! You can't keep being late for chores. You'll get in trouble one of these days!" She exclaimed, following the smaller girl into the kitchen.

Aura hummed a song as she set her basket on a small wooden table. She couldn't help but laugh at her older sister. "But Sister, how am I supposed to contain myself if I have to be stuck here all day?" She dragged out the words dramatically.

The other sister groaned and rubbed her temples. "Just be on time from now on," she ordered. Aura laughed at her and continued to hum her song as she began preparing food. She was horrible at cooking.

~{}~

Aura failed to listen to the sister at the church and she'd snuck out again that same day. The sun was slowly setting in the sky, but she didn't care. She ran to the field behind the small village, ripping her veil from her head to let her long raven hair fly through the harsh gusts of wind.

She spun around as the wind danced with her. She let out laughs of joy, opening her arms out wide. This was freedom. She began getting dizzy and slowly stopped spinning, stumbling to stand up straight. It made her laugh even more.

When she finally calmed down and stood up straight she was met with a familiar face. She gasped in surprise, but smiled nonetheless. "Oh, hi again!" She beamed.

The dark haired man chuckled, staring down at her with a look of curiosity. "Hello. I must say, I've never seen a woman so playful by herself in an empty field," he mused, a small smirk adorning his features.

Aura giggled to herself. "Well I'm not by myself if you're here," she said jokingly. She pulled her hair behind her ear to keep it out of her face as the wind thrashed around. "And since you are here, why don't you join me?" She requested, already taking his hands in hers.

She began dancing around again, as if the wind was her music. Adonis stared at her in awe. He'd never met anyone like her. She was beautiful and carefree. He never wanted to part from her.