Chapter XXXVI- Flames In Paradise

A/n: Hand reveal☺️(ignore any scars you see-)

I coughed as my eyes opened. I felt really warm, and it was also really hard to breathe. Not being able to see much, I sat up and rubbed my eyes. I reopened them and it wasn't a second longer before they shot open wide. Fire!

The room was nearly filled with smoke. I looked around in a panic. Adonis was nowhere in sight. Anxiety and fear coursing through me, I rushed out of bed, coughing. I avoided the fire as I carefully made my way out of the room.

I opened the bedroom door only to see the hallway cascaded in flames. I gasped in shock, covering my mouth as I continued to cough. I turned towards the other side of the corridor. It was less covered with the fire.

I quickly ran down the hall, avoiding every flame. "Adonis!" I shouted, choking on the smoke in the air. I continued sprinting through the halls, having to take the long way to the stairs. "Adonis!!" I yelled, my vision blurry. I slid to a pause before gliding down the stairs as fast as I could. In the middle of both sets of stairs, I saw a figure on the floor. I gasped in surprise. "Elwin!" I exclaimed breathlessly, running over to him.

I threw myself onto the floor in front of him. He was laying in a pool of wine red liquid with a small dagger next to him. I gasped and my eyes swelled with tears. I put my hands on either side of his face. "Elwin! Elwin, wake up!" I shouted. When he didn't even flinch I whimpered.

I jumped when I felt two pairs of arms around mine. I was pulled to my feet. I looked around me and saw two men dressed in monochrome outfits. I gasped. "No! Stop! Let me go!" My stomach dropped as I remembered my dream from last night. I felt sick. "No no! Stop! He's hurt!" I cried, squirming in their grips as I was dragged through the front door.

I used all my strength to try to get away, but their grips only seemed to grow stronger with each pull I gave. My eyes widened as I saw a raven carriage with metals bars. "No! Let me go!" My breathing got heavier and heavier as we drew nearer. A third male opened the back of the carriage and the other two tossed me inside. Before I could try to escape the door was slammed and locked.

I banged on it. "Why are you doing this?!! Please!" I begged. They ignored my cries and walked out of sight. It wasn't long before the carriage began moving. The house quickly grew further and further away as the carriage was moving rather fast. All I could do was cry at the sight of my home burning down. The frozen snow did nothing to stop it. My family was still in there...!

I quickly began digging around the the torn and dirty rags in the carriage. I nearly gave up before I found a small piece of metal. I let hope overtake me as I crawled back over to the door. I stuck the metal into the keyhole on the opposite side with mild struggle.

I bit my tongue as I focused on lock-picking the door. It wasn't exactly something I was experienced at anyways. I twisted it back and forth, to no avail each time. There was a sudden bump and the metal slipped from my hand, cutting my palm.

My mouth fell open and my eyes widened. They swelled with tears and I brought my arms back inside. I silently cried to myself, feeling absolutely pathetic. I curled up on the tattered fabrics and shivered at the cold air. Please, just let this be another nightmare.

~{}~

I awoke with a massive headache. Looking through the bars-which meant that it had not been another nightmare- I noticed I wasn't in a familiar place. There wasn't any snow, but everything was dead and it was still very chilly.