Chapter XXXV- The Fear That Destroys

A/n: I found that on Pinterest-

It was December 6th. The weather had quickly grown cold and snow had fallen across the land. It had been a week and a half since Damian showed me his face. Ever since then I've caught him stealing glances at me.

However, that was the least of my worries. I'd had this awful feeling in the pit of my stomach that only seemed to get worse by the day. I felt as if I had to watch my back every second. Something was coming, I just didn't know what it was.

I sighed, playing with my food on my plate with my fork. I leaned my face onto the palm of my hand. I stared down at the uneaten food in front of me. The feeling made me lose my appetite.

"Are you alright, Mora?" Adonis inquired softly. I glanced up at him as he sat to my left. I nodded at him and he gave me a sympathetic look. "If you are not feeling well, you can leave the table. There is nothing that requires you to stay," he said, offering me a soft smile.

My heart warmed at his words. Life with him was not only very different, but it was truly amazing. He made me feel free and alive. I smiled and blushed, looking back down at my plate. I slowly started eating.

~{}~

"Please! Please! Let me go!! I'll be quiet, I promise!" I cried, kicking my legs up and down as I was dragged down the dark and dirty hallway. "Please! I won't try anything! Don't take me there! Please!" I begged.

Warm tears were running down my face. I sobbed as my lower body was dragged across the floor. I could do nothing to fight against the mens' grips. It wasn't long before we reached "that room" and I was thrown inside.

I quickly crawled towards the door before it was slammed in my face. I heard the latch lock in place. I peeked through the bars at the bottom of it. I could see the two men walking away from me.

I harshly bit my lip as I silenced my cries. I turned around and looked at the pitch black room. The only light came from the bars at the top and the bottom of the door. My heart raced with fear as I heart the sounds of water droplets, slithering, rats squeaking, and hissing. I pushed my torn brown hair out of my face.

My breathing was heavy and labored as my eyes shot all around me. I shakily stood up on unsteady legs. My body ached with pain at every movement. I regretted screaming and begging to be let go all night long.

After the daily torture we went through for hours at a time, I'd thought that annoying the "guards" would be some sort of distraction for the others to try to escape. Unsurprisingly, it only made them angry at me. They'd dragged me to a worse cell. While the cells the other girls and I were usually kept in were like prison cells, this one was filled with rats, mice, snakes, and more. Things that carried toxins and diseases.

After months of being kept here, I'd given up hope that Adonis or the phantoms could find me. Every night, the thought of Adonis was what kept me going. I had given up all hope, though. I knew this is the place I would die.

Bearing that thought in mind, I slowly made my way further into the room. I could hear some footsteps approaching the door behind me. "Where is that wench?!" A gruff man's voice shouted angrily. He was the "boss" of the others.

I picked up my pace and found what I was searching for. I bent down and picked up a snake. It slithered up my arm as I stood up. I stared at it, my body trembling. I put my hand in front of my face and the snake slithered it's head close to me. My breath hitched as I heard keys jingling behind the door.

I gently pulled the snake closer to my neck, sliding my hand around its body. I heard a key being inserted into the door. I squeezed the snake's body in my grip and felt a sharp pain on my neck. I winced and quickly grew dizzy.

I woke up with a strained sob. I shot up into a sitting position, crying. My face was soaked with tears and my hair stuck to my face. My breathing was labored. I harshly rubbed my face to wipe off the tears. It was futile, for they didn't stop.

I rushed out of bed and out of my room. I raced down the hall and hastily banged on the door of my destination. It didn't take long before the door was quickly pulled open and a worried Adonis stood on the other side. His eyes widened at the sight of me.

I didn't waste a moment before I ran into his arms and hugged him, sobbing into his chest. His hands wrapped around my body and I felt him comfortingly rubbing a hand through my hair. "Mora, my love, what has you so worked up?" He asked in concern.

I couldn't form words with the lump in my throat and the cries that continued to leave me. Without a word, Adonis closed his door and carefully led me over to his bed. We laid down and I cuddled into his chest. He rubbed soothing circles on my back.

After what felt like an hour of endless crying, I felt drained, but my sobs had ceased. Now I was just breathing shakily on Adonis' chest. His nightshirt was soaked with my tears. I sniffled and gazed up at him. He was intently watching me.

I turned my head to the side so that the side of my head was laying on him. "I-I'm sorry," I whimpered, my voice cracking. My eyes grew wet once more.

He made a calming "shh" sound and rubbed my back. "It's okay, my love. Do you want to talk about it?" He whispered gently.

I bit my lip and nodded. "I had a nightmare. It seemed so real. I was in a dark place and there were men who would hurt me." I whimpered slowly. "It hurt so much," I cried. "And if we disobeyed them, we were thrown into a separate room with rats and snakes. Not a lot of women returned," I mentioned quietly.

I sucked in a shaky breath. "I was one who didn't," I muttered. I felt Adonis' movements pause at my words. Then he slowly continued. "I... I killed myself," I said. It just now donned on me how impactful that fact truly was. I failed to suppress another quiet sob. "What was that?" I begged to know the answer.

Adonis took a deep breath. "Years ago, in the sixteenth century, you were taken one night. For months, the phantoms and I did our best to find you. We were... unsuccessful, as we'd heard rumours that your body had been found. I didn't believe it until I saw what they did to you for myself." He growled the last part, clenching his teeth. He stared into my eyes, giving me a kind expression. "Don't worry, my love, they paid for what they did. They were not allowed to harm any other woman," he said softly.

I blinked and tears slipped from my eyes. I was so grateful to have him. I nuzzled my head next to his neck. "Solanine?" I guessed. The brown hair and century made me think so.

I felt him nod. "Yes... it was the night before our ritual." He stated slowly. His grip around my waist tightened.

I frowned deeply. "Adonis, am I going to die?" I inquired fearfully. Was death always going to be my unavoidable fate? I didn't want to die.

He exhaled. "Get some sleep, love," he whispered. He kissed the top of my head. I slowly let myself nod before I closed my eyes. It didn't take long before I dozed off, fearing what the dream world had in store for me.