Chapter XIV- The Heartache of Remembrance

A/n: The music for this chapter was a bit challenging. At first it was going to be Dance Macabre for a multitude of reasons, then it was Call Me Little Sunshine because as I was writing it sounded good with the visions I had for the story. Then I wondered if Witch Image would work. However, obviously the second choice stuck.

"Where did Adonis come from?" A raven haired woman asked, amused. A dark haired man, Adonis, laughed at her question. They were sat underneath an oak tree in a grassy field.

He looked at her, so affectionately. "I couldn't just say that my name is Satan. Besides, Adonis sounds better," he joked. He noticed her weaving flowers together. "What are you doing?" He questioned in confusion.

She didn't look up from her work. "I'm making flower crowns for the phantoms," she answered simply. "Do you think they'll like them?" She grinned, holding it up.

The red eyed man hummed, examining the flowers. "Yes, I do. They'll look lovely with them," he replied with a smile. Aura beamed, speeding up her pace.

Soon, she'd completed one, then another, then one more. Adonis couldn't help but watch her in awe. She worked so fluidly and without hesitation. Feeling his gaze, Aura looked up at him with a knowing smile. "Would you like me to teach you?" She inquired in a kind tone.

Adonis chuckled, not being able to hide his slight embarrassment, having been caught staring at her. "That depends. How good of a teacher are you?" He teased.

Aura rolled her eyes, her smile never leaving her lips. "I don't know. Let's find out, shall we?" She retorted. The red eyed man simply gave a small smirk.

~{}~

Aura laid in bed, sick and in pain. She was sweaty and her breathing was rather heavy. Adonis and the phantoms refused to leave her side, concerned for her. They did everything to make sure she was as comfortable as possible.

Adonis sat on a chair beside her bed, holding her hand and rubbing it comfortingly. He only had one idea, and sure, he'd been having the urge to tell her for a while now, but he wasn't completely sure Aura would want that. He barely had the courage to utter a word about it. Although, he knew something had to be done.

So, he did. "My love, there is something I've been meaning to ask you. You do not have to agree, for I know it's a hard decision." He paused, watching as her blue eyes wandered over to meet his. He hesitated. "There's a ritual we can perform. You can be with us forever. You will be forever," he said slowly.

Aura didn't look surprised. "I don't want to leave you, my darling," she began, taking a deep breath. "Promise me our family will never be apart," she whispered melodically.

Adonis was surprised by how quickly she'd answered him. He knew that she enjoyed being a normal human being. However, he also knew she didn't want to die so early in her life. He nodded at her. "I promise." He answered firmly.

He stood and wrapped his arms underneath the woman. He gently picked her up and made sure she was still comfortable. She used what was left of her strength to place her arms around his neck. She barely had the energy to balance her head on his shoulder.

The male walked out of her bedroom and down the short hallway towards the back doorway. Aura could see the phantoms hurriedly following behind the two. She had a weak smile at the sight. She loved how caring each one of them was towards her.

One of the phantoms rushed to open the back door for Adonis to walk through. Once outside, Aura felt the cold air and breathed in deeply, tightening her grip on Adonis. The wind was blowing roughly, making the girl's hair and white nightgown sway to the pace of the wind.

It was loud and it whimpered into their ears every chance it got. "We must hurry, the storm will be here soon," Adonis said to the phantoms, looking up at the sky filled with dark clouds. He and the phantoms made their way into the forest behind the woman's home.

Aura stared at the field one last time before the only thing she could see behind her was the phantoms and trees. Everything seemed to be in and out of slow motion as her vision constantly blurred. She felt like she was seeing everything in time lapses. It made her head spin.

However, soon enough the group went uphill and walked out towards a cliff. The grass was short and the full moon shined brightly down upon them. Aura felt herself being laid in the middle of it and she watched the phantoms make a big circle around her.

She whimpered and reached out towards Adonis when he stood up. He gave her a reassuring look. "Don't worry, I'm not leaving you," he stated. Aura hesitantly nodded and she moved her arm back towards her, observing as Adonis walked away. He joined the circle in front of her, at the center edge of the cliff.

Soon, the circle began chanting in a language she was unfamiliar with. She groaned in pain and clenched her stomach in her hand. She shut her jaw as to not make a noise. The chanting rang through her mind like an endless clock. Ticking over and over again.

The moon turned red and the crimson light beamed down onto her. She stared up at it through her hair that'd begun to stick to her forehead. The chants quickly started to sound like a song instead of a clock. It reminded her of dancing in the meadow as the wind blew through her hair. She closed her eyes, finally feeling peaceful after so long of being sick and bedridden. She sighed in content and a smile rose to her cherry lips.

Then she didn't hear anything. No more chanting, not the wind blowing through the trees, not the sound of the night bugs. Then, she was crying, screaming even. When she opened her eyes her vision was bloody and blurry. She didn't recognize anything she could make out. Not even the people, they were strangers.

Her first rebirth.