Chapter 14

Veronica runs her fingers through her hair. She just knocked against Archie's door. Her heart beats fast. Tonight is his senior prom. She and Betty went dress shopping. It took them a while to find one Veronica liked. She wanted one that defines her tiny baby bump but doesn't show to much skin. After hours she found a dark blue one with a a few sparkles. Her heels are black. Her hair is in a bun and her eyeshadow matches the color of her dress. She doesn't wear a lot of makeup though. She doesn't like it. Never did and probably never will. Silver earrings and a silver necklace make Veronica's prom outfit perfect.
The door opens. Archie stands in front of her in a dress shirt that almost matches her dress perfectly. His eyes widen and he smiles. His hands reach for her waist. He pulls her against his chest and kisses her gently.

"Wow Ronnie" Archie smirks "you look absolutely beautiful"

"Thanks Archie" she giggles "you look really handsome. I'm glad you like the dress shirts I got you"

Archie blushes "is this good enough for prom?"

"I'd say so. You look really, really handsome Archie. If I didn't already fall in love with you, I would now and we kinda match!"

"That was sweet babe" Archie smiles. He pulls her closer and kisses her lips again but that gets interrupted by a squeal. Mary runs towards them. Fred follows slowly. "Oh my goodness Veronica, you look stunning my dear" she says as she takes the girl out of Archie's arms and pulls her into her own. "Thanks Mary" Veronica giggles

Mary pulls away and looks at Veronica with a wide smile on her face. She still can't believe sometimes her son got so lucky. Her eyes slowly travel down her body so she can admire the dress a little longer but they stop at her stomach "oh my goodness" Mary whispers "you're showing!"

"I know" Veronica says excitedly as she places her hands on her stomach. Archie's hand follows quickly but Veronica pushes it off. "Give your mom a chance"

"Oh sorry. Go ahead mom" Archie says as he takes a step back. He's next to his dad now.
"You better take good care of this girl and your baby, son" Fred says.

"I will dad, I promise. I'd give my live for them"

Fred pats Archie's back with a smile. "Mary lets take pictures of the kids and then let them go. You'll have a couple more months to admire Veronica's stomach"

"But my grandbaby is growing in there"

"And it will still be in there tomorrow. Now leave the kids alone. Come on honey"

Mary sighs "fine" she mumbles as she walks next to Fred. Archie doesn't waist a second. He wraps his arms around Veronica from behind, her hands are on her stomach and his chin rests on her head. He has the widest smile on his face.

"That's cute!" Mary grins as she takes one picture after the other. She seems very happy. Almost as happy as Archie and Veronica. Finally she takes a break from taking pictures to look at the pictures she already took. Fred smiles. He hasn't seen his son this happy in many years.

"Okay we'll leave you kids alone now" she says "have fun!"

"Thanks mom" Archie smiles. One of his hands is still on Veronica's stomach. It runs tiny circles. Veronica loves when he does that and he knows.

Archie waits for his parents to disappear in the living room before he turns to look at his girlfriend.

"You look really beautiful Ronnie, like breathtakingly beautiful"

"Thank you Archiekins. That's so sweet"

"How did you get past your parents looking like this?"

"I didn't. When Betty and I bought this dress she took it home with her. I packed a bag with makeup, different jewelry options and shoes and told my parents I would have a sleepover at B's house. She helped me get ready and then drove me here"