Chapter 8

Sorry it's been so long. I was on a cruise and didn't have any wifi
___________________________________

It's late. Archie sneaked into Veronica's room after dark. He hasn't seen her all day and just wants to cuddle her. Veronica has been talking for a while. He doesn't know about what though. He's really tired but he also doesn't mind Veronica talking. This way he at least knows she actually in his arms.

"Archie?" she whispers

"Mhm" he mumbles.

"Are you even listening or am I annoying you?" she asks as she lifts her head and rests her chin on his chest.

"I love you baby"

"So you're not?"

"Sorry, I'm just tired. Keep talking"

"No, it's not the same when you're not listening" she mumbles and rests her head back on his chest.

Archie squeezes her close and kisses the top of her head. "I'm sorry. Tomorrow love okay?"

"Okay" Veronica sighs. Archie runs his fingers up and down her back for a few seconds before he rests his hand on her butt. Veronica's not tired yet. The dark around her somehow makes her feel uncomfortable tonight. She scooches even closer to Archie. Her leg rests over his now and her hand holds on to the fabric of his shirt.

"Archie?"

"Mhm"

"I'm scared"

"What? What are you scared of love?"

"I don't know. The dark makes me feel uncomfortable tonight"

"I'm here. No one will ever hurt you when I'm with you" he says quietly with a smile on his face. His arms wrap around her waist again. "Not even a monster under the bed"
He kisses her head and squeezes her close one last time.

"Archie, I'm sorry but I have one more question and then I promise I'll let you sleep"

"Mhm"

"So uhm, are you mad at me or something? I'm sorry for what my dad did. I feel like you didn't want to talk to me tonight"

"Babe" Archie groans. "I love you. It's just I got up really early this morning. I helped out at my aunt's bakery for a couple hours before school. Then I helped my dad finish painting a costumers house after school and all I wanted after that on a Friday night was to see my beautiful girlfriend. So I hopped in the shower and came here. I want to be with you and right now I really want to sleep"

Veronica smiles widely. She's more than satisfied with that answer. She thinks it's amazing how he goes to work before and after school to support his family. She crawls on top of his chest. Her head is right underneath his chin and her cold feet get warm again between his legs.
"Happy now?" Archie whispers.

"Yeah" she whispers back. She loves to listen to the sound of his beating heart. It makes her feel so safe. She presses a soft kiss to his chest, then snuggles deeper into his embrace. "I love you too Archiekins"
For a while she just stares into the dark. Archie's heartbeat and his arms around her, make her feel safe. She smiles until eventually she falls asleep, tired and happy.

•••

Veronica still lies in bed. The sun shines into her face. It's warm and beautiful outside but her heart is still broken. She slept well with Archie cuddling her but now she couldn't stop thinking about how terrible Thursday night went. After she cried for hours, she found the strength to get up and take a long hot shower to wash all the tears and makeup off her body. After she put on of Archie's shirt, she cuddled into her bed sheets and fell asleep with wet hair.
It's Saturday morning. The house is quiet. Archie left really early. She was upset at first when she woke up without him but a "I love you" text made her feel a lot better. Apparently he had stuff to do.