Chapter 13

"Morning mom" Archie says as he walks into the kitchen rubbing his eyes.
He grabs an apple from the counter. "I'm not ready, it's way too early"

"You'll survive Archie" Mary chuckles. "Once your baby is here, sleeping until 6 o'clock will be a blessing. How's Veronica doing by the way?"

"She feels terrible mom. I'm so sorry for her"

"She'll be fine honey. Yes it's terrible, I understand her but she will be better"

It's been a month since Veronica found out. She's almost three months pregnant now. She suffers from a lot of morning sickness. It's not just the vomiting though. Her stomach hurts, she's tired all the time and very emotional. This week has been extra terrible so she stayed home. Yesterday afternoon she went for a walk because that helps her a lot and she ended up at Archie's house. She stayed for dinner and then didn't want to go back to the Pembrooke.

Her parents still don't know. Veronica is terrified of telling them.
If you know she's pregnant, you can see a tiny bump so Veronica doesn't wear anything like skinny jeans or crop tops anymore. Everything is baggy and comfy.
Archie told his parents right away. It was just the three of them when he told them because he wanted them to have the chance to be honest.
They told him they were not expecting to become grandparents so soon and asked if he had a plan. A plan on how to finish school and take care of Veronica and the child. They told him they will 100% support the two of them as best as they can but they want Archie to get a job. Veronica and the baby are his responsibility and he needs to be able to care for them.
The first time Veronica saw Mary and Fred after they knew, was very weird at first but then Mary and Veronica got a chance to talk and Veronica asked Mary all those questions she knew she won't be able to ask her mom or simply didn't want to ask her. The more they talked the more Mary actually liked the thought of having a baby in the family and when she and Fred saw the ultrasound picture for the first time, they fell in love instantly. Ever since, that picture has a special spot on the fridge.

Archie sighs "can she stay here? She wants to stay here"

"Of course" Mary nods. "But no one will be home all day"

"She'd be by herself at her place too. I don't know why she wants to be here but I'm not stopping her. I just want her to feel better"

"She can stay Archie, for as long as she wants" Mary smiles. The way her son's eyes light up make her laugh. She takes her cup of coffee and walks out of the kitchen.

Archie smirks. He walks back into the bedroom to say goodbye to Veronica before he has to go to school but when he opens the door he sees her cuddled into a bunch of blankets fast asleep.
He quietly walks over to her, brushes her hair out of her face and gently kisses her forehead. "I love you" he whispers. He grabs his backpack and leaves for school.

•••

Veronica sighs. She's tired and at the same time she's not but one thing she definitely is, is bored.
Her cramps get better and they get worse same with the nausea. All she does all day long is lay in bed.

She puts her phone aside and places her hands on her stomach. She can feel the smallest baby bump.

"You're driving me crazy little human but I already love you so much and I know your daddy does too. I know you're still tiny but I can't wait to feel you move. I'm excited for that" she smiles "you know little one, your daddy and I are younger than most parents, a lot younger but we will always support you and we will try to give you the best possible live and we will definitely love you with all our heart. We have an appointment tomorrow to see you again. Maybe you look like an actual baby now. Last time you were a tiny bean" Veronica giggles.
She flinches when the door opens.

"Archie?"

"Hi love" he grins as he walks into the room. He kicks off his shoes, lets himself fall on the bed next to Veronica and kisses her stomach and then her.

"What are you already doing here?" she asks.

"Lunch break. I have 30 minutes before I need to go back. I wanted to check on you"

"Archie that's very sweet. I appreciate it but you should use your lunch break to eat"

"Oh I'll be fine" he smiles as he snuggles into the bed with his hand still on her stomach.

"You can have my ham and cheese sandwich" Veronica says as she points to the nightstand. Archie turns his head. There's a sandwich on a plate with tomatoes and cucumbers next to it.
"Love, you need to eat. Please tell me you ate something today"

"I did" Veronica giggles. "I made that sandwich first, took a bite and almost puked. The smell of the ham... oh my goodness Archie I can't. So I made myself a peanut butter sandwich and I had some of those delicious cookies your mom made and I had an apple too"

"Good" Archie nods. He sits up but tries to stay close to Veronica. He reaches for the plate. He's very hungry but he rather wanted to check on his pregnant girlfriend than eat anything. He would have survived the day.  "Are you sure you don't want this?"

"Yes!" Veronica nods "and if I get hungry again I can just go into the kitchen and get food"

"How are you doing love?" Archie asks with his mouth full of bread ham and cheese.

"Not good. I have those cramps all day long and my back hurts and I feel like I need to vomit all the time"

"I'm sorry babe"

"You should be. This is all your fault"

"Um excuse you?" Archie grins "making babies is a team effort"

"Still your fault" she sighs as she leans her head against his shoulder.

"Fine, whatever you say Ronnie" Archie smirks. He presses his lips against the top of her head but instead of a loving response she wrinkles her nose and pushes his face away. "You have ham breath"

"So?"

"If you want me to puke all over you, you can continue kissing me"

Now Archie wrinkles his nose "no thank you. I love you though"

"I love you too" Veronica mumbles. "Archie for dinner today, would you mind getting me some chicken nuggets? I'll pay you back"

"What if I make home made chicken nuggets?"

"Do you have ketchup?"

"I do" Archie chuckles.

"Then okay"

"Mine are better anyway" Archie mumbles and takes one last, big bite from the sandwich before he lays down and cuddles Veronica until she's asleep. He brushes her hair out of her face and kisses her head again, just like this morning before he gets ready to go back to school even though he'd much rather stay in bed and cuddle his pregnant girlfriend.