Chapter 9

Veronica lies on her bed sobbing. Tonight was supposed to be fun and filled with laughter and lots of kisses but Archie never showed up.
How could she be so fooled? The pain in her chest is killing her. She never loved anyone so much. She tried calling him a million times but he doesn't pick up the phone, he doesn't answer texts.
Her phone buzzes but she's not in the mood to talk to anyone. It buzzes again and then someone calls her but she ignores that too. She wants to be miserable by herself. She didn't even have the energy to change. She's still in that light blue dress Archie likes so much. Her hair is curled but her beautiful makeup was ruined by her tears.
Her phone rings again. She flips it around and sees Archie is calling her.
She could throw her phone against a wall and just scream but something inside her makes her answer the phone.

"What do you want asshole?!" she cries into the phone

"Ronnie baby lis—"

"Don't call me baby! We're done! I was waiting for you for two hours! I should have listened to my dad. You never wanted me. You only wanted my money. I'm hanging up!"

"No No No No Ronnie! Listen please! I was on my way to you but I got into an accident. I'm in the hospital"

"You're what?" she mumbles. Tears still run down her cheeks. "Are— are you okay? What happened?"

"I got hit by a car but I was lucky. I have two broken rips and a few bruises and cuts but that's it. I'm fine. More or less"

"I'm coming"

"You don't have to love. It's late. You can come tomorrow or I can come to you"

"I'm coming right now!" Veronica says and hangs up before Archie can say anything else.

•••

"Hey Ronnie" Archie smiles tiredly as Veronica walks into his room "you look beautiful"

"Thank you lover" she smiles but her heart stops once she's close enough to see his face.
"Oh gosh Archie" she mumbles. There's a bandage around his hand and a big band aid on his forehead. He has a big bruise underneath his eye and a cut on his lip.
She cups his cheeks and kisses him as gently as she can. "How are you" she asks as she sits down on the bed. Archie reaches for her hand. "Better now that you're here"

Veronica smiles slightly. Her thumb slowly runs over his knuckles. "I'm sorry for yelling at you. And I'm sorry for being mad at you. I had no idea"

"It's okay. How were you supposed to know. I'm just happy you're with me now. I was really looking forward to our date and I promise you as soon as I can sit up straight again, we'll go out"

"Oh don't worry about that lover. The only thing you need to focus on right now is getting all better so I can squeeze you again. When can you go home?"

"Tomorrow"

"Tomorrow?" Veronica asks with one eyebrow raised. Archie looks horrible. He can't even move by himself.

"Yeah. The doctor actually wanted me here for at least two weeks but when I told him that I probably won't be even able to pay for whatever tonight costs, he agreed to let me go"

"No no no lover. You're staying for as long as a doctor says it's necessary. I'm paying, don't worry"

"But babe your father hates me and already thinks I only want your money. I don't want you to get in a fight with him because of me"

"I don't care Archie. You're staying!"

"Babe—"

"No Archie. You're staying"

"Babe!" Archie says again and slightly squeezes Veronica's hand.

"What?"

"Thank you. I love you"

Veronica smiles her cheeks blush slightly "I love you too Archiekins but you don't have to thank me. I'm just taking care of you"
Archie smiles. Just looking at Veronica's face makes him feel better. Her thumb still runs over his knuckles. "I'll get you some clean clothes and other stuff you need tomorrow and I will also get some stuff for me cause I'm not leaving your side until you're all better"

"Love, you don't have to stay here"

"I will though, end of discussion. Im staying tonight too. You don't have something a little more comfortable for me?" she asks as she looks down to the dress she's still wearing.

Archie shakes his head "Sorry Ronnie. Actually though, you look beautiful in it and very hot too. I don't mind if you keep that on"

Veronica rolls her eyes. "You're so lucky you're hurt. Otherwise I'd let you sleep on the floor for that terrible line"

"Where do you want to sleep?" Archie asks with a chuckle.

"Well that chair looks comfy" she says and was about to get up but Archie only holds on tighter to her hand. "You're not sleeping on the chair love. If you really want to stay I can scooch over. You can rest your head on my chest"

"You have broken ribs Archiekins" Veronica giggles while she shakes her head. She lies down next to him and carefully wraps her arms around his his muscular one. "How about this? Is this okay?"

"Perfect" Archie smiles. He leans towards her carefully and even though he feels like he will pass out from the pain he continues until his lips touch the top of her head. "Goodnight love"

"Goodnight" she whispers. Her eyes are shut. She's so tired. "Try not to get killed please. I need you"

"I won't leave you, don't worry" Archie smiles with his eyes half way closed but Veronica doesn't answer anymore. She's asleep.

"I need you too Ronnie" he whispers before his eyes finally fall shut too with Veronica by his side.