Chapter 16

It's December 1st. Outside it's cold and snow is falling. It's exactly a week before Veronica's due date and still she is in the hospital with contractions. The pain she is feeling is by far the most painful pain she has ever felt in her life. It's so bad, she vomited a couple of times. A doctor gave her painkillers and an epidural. It's better but still bad. Tears roll down her cheeks. Archie is right next to her and holds her hand tightly. Their fingers are intertwined. She won't admit it right now but she'd die without him.

"I really want sushi when I'm done" she cries.

"I'll get you whatever you want my love" Archie says with a smile. He kisses her head and runs his thumb over her knuckles. The midwife is checking her cervix.

"You're 10 centimeters Miss Lodge. We should start pressing with the next contraction"

Veronica shakes her head "i don't know if I'm ready"

"You are my dear. Your daughter wants to meet you" the elderly woman smiles. Archie does too. He's more than just excited. "You're amazing Ronnie. You got this!"

"Oh there is a contraction coming. I need you to press in three two one"

Veronica shuts her eyes and does what she was told. She's in so much pain but she knows it will be worth it. She wants to meet her daughter too.

"You did this to me" she cries while she squeezes Archie's hand. More tears roll down her cheeks.

"I'm sorry baby" Archie tries to say calmly. His thumb still runs over her knuckles "I'll do whatever you want me to do"

"Right now, I need you to shut up and just hold my hand"

"Okay" Archie nods. He tries to stay calm or at least seem calm for Veronica but he's absolutely freaking out inside. In a few minutes he's going to be a father. He will have responsibility for a human, a tiny human and he needs to take care of Veronica too.
He's terrified but also really really excited to finally meet his little girl. He has pictured what she would look like so many times. He has pictured her as a mini version of Veronica or with red hair or brown hair, blue eyes, brown eyes but no matter what, he knows his girl is going to be absolutely gorgeous.

A knock against the door interrupts his train of thought. The door opens and Hermione walks in.

"Ma'am you can't—" the midwife starts but Hermione interrupts her by holding her finger in her face. "That's my daughter"

"What are you doing here?" Veronica groans in pain.

"Archie's mom came over and told me you're in labor. The way you father and I feel about Archie has nothing to do with you or this baby. She has done nothing wrong. I would regret this for the rest of my life if I wasn't with my daughter when she's giving birth to hers. So may I stay?"

Veronica smiles. She's still mad at both of her parents and she will probably never forgive them for the way they treated Archie but right now, in this moment, she's happy to have her mom so she holds her hand towards her.

A few very painful minutes and lots of tears later, Veronica isn't the only one crying anymore. Her small baby lies on her chest. She was screaming but is calming down now. Archie has tears running down his face too. He kisses Veronica a few times and tells her how much he loves her before he kisses his daughter's head as gently as he has never kissed anyone before.

"Hey tiny baby" he whispers "I'm your daddy and I will protect you from anyone and anything"

Hermione smiles. For a few minutes the world seems to be okay. She twirls Veronica hair between her fingers while her eyes are on her granddaughter.