Bonding and Trust

Third POV

For the entire week after the therapy session, the heroes and the nekos spent their time doing whatever they wanted. The heroes decided that since the nekos had been rescued, they haven't really had a chance to relax and be kids, other than at the hospital. Though Aizawa vehemently argued that the hospital is a terrible location for true relaxation. So for the next week, the little makeshift family spent time together in the confines of their little apartment. 

The nekos were still very hesitant when they had to ask for something and for the most part they didn't ask for anything other than food or to use the restroom. Hizashi wished they'd speak up more and ask for things so he could spoil them properly but Aizawa just told him to be patient; his time would come at some point. Hizashi only huffed and went back to doing puzzles on the coffee table with Shoto. 

Throughout the week the heroes explored different activities to do together so that they could find out what interested their young wards. It was quite interesting to see that the nekos while doing many things together, had a couple of different favorite activities. Izuku was enjoying reading, playing with Hizashi's hair, and watching hero fights. As Hizashi was watching Izuku sit with his elemental dragons and watch the fight going on, he noticed something. Izuku seemed to be making a noise close to mumbling but the sounds coming out were not words. Hizashi was slightly concerned so he shifted to sit next to the green neko.

Izuku slightly jumped since he was so focused on the fight but seemed to calm down quickly with the help of the dragons and knowing it was only Hizashi. He went back to his indistinguishable mumbles but Hizashi also noted that his hand was twitching. "Sun?" The boy took his focus off the fight, stopping his mumbles and twitching, and looking up at the hero. "I think it's about time I start teaching you to talk and write. Hizashi had a hunch that the twitching and mumbling was Izuku noting details of the fight. It impressed the voice hero because it was rare to find a young soul so intrigued and curious about hero analysis. 

Sun looked at him curiously but nodded. Hizashi and Aizawa had spoken briefly on the subject of teaching Izuku to speak and write so that he could communicate with the rest of them easier and not have to rely on Shoto as much. Hizashi had some experience teaching children to write and speak as he did tutoring for little kids in middle and high school. So the hero muted the TV and began to teach the little neko simple terms and phrases. It was a slow process and Hizashi noted that Izuku got distracted easily but other things when he was having trouble comprehending certain phrases. He also noted that the neko seem to have an easier time writing than speaking.

On the other hand, Shoto seemed to enjoy puzzles, drawing, and cooking the most. During one of the rare moments that the nekos were apart, Shoto had drifted into the kitchen to watch Aizawa make lunch. The little neko was intrigued with the experience and appeared to be watching every move and action that Aizawa seemed to make. 

At first, Aizawa thought that Shoto was just watching him to make sure he didn't do anything to the food. However, when he asked Shoto if he wanted to help him make lunch, the hero was surprised to see a little nod. Aizawa brought Shoto to stand on a stool so he could use the counter comfortably. Aizawa explained that he was making cold soba and that Shoto could help him mix stuff for the sauce. It wasn't a complicated dish but Aizawa didn't want him near the knives or the stove for physical and mental safety. Aizawa was very patient to explain what he was doing; one to not startle Shoto, and two to explain the steps of the dish. 

When the duo finished the dish, Aizawa asked Shoto to take out the bowl, which he did so carefully that Aizawa was slightly concerned that he cared too much about not breaking a bowl. Aizawa served the food, making sure to put less into the neko's bowls since they couldn't eat as much. Shoto hopped off the stool he was still standing on and after Aizawa told him where to put it away, the hero handed the neko his own bowl and the bowl meant for Izuku.

The duo walked into the living room where Hizashi was once again teaching Izuku how to write Kanji. When Shoto heard that Hizashi was going to teach Izuku how to speak and write on his own he was faced with conflicting emotions. He was really happy that Izuku was finally getting a chance to learn to speak and write but he was sad that Izuku would have to rely on him anymore. When Shoto had voiced his conflictions, Izuku had shot up, knock his workbook to the floor, and clung to the red and white neko. Shoto immediately knew that Izukuwas expressing that he would always rely on the other and when he told the smaller that he was fine, Izuku hadn't let him go the rest of the day.

Shoto shook his head to rid himself of those thoughts and followed Aizawa to the coffee table. Hizashi saw the duo coming and quickly packed up the learning materials. "I made cold soba with Mr. Aizawa." Shoto announced, slightly proud of himself. "Great job little listener! I bet it's delicious!" Izuku was looking between the bowl that was now in his hands and Shoto. He had a look of awe in his eye and after a second or two began to dig into the food. He had a bite and put the bowl down. Shoto looked worried that Izuku hadn't liked it but when the other rushed him and began purring he was pleased with himself.

What surprised everyone, and set off a chain reaction, was that after his purring fit, Izuku looked at Shoto and said, "Moon, the so-soba is yu-yummy!" Aizawa and Hizashi looked surprised that Izuku had actually formed a proper sentence but were very proud of his progress. Shoto on the other hand had taken a second to comprehend what Izuku had said and done before hugging the boy and giving the first smile since his rescue. 

To say the least, the heroes were overjoyed at the new development. "MOOn, you smiled!" Hizashi exclaimed. He had almost lost control of his quirk in his excitement but Aizawa was quick to erase it. "Your smile is so cute little listener!" Izuku looked at Shoto's face to see the soft upcurve gracing his lips. Izuku then thought deeply before looking down and trying to do it himself. Izuku would use his hands to push the corners of his mouth up into the same place as Shoto's; unfortunately, whenever he let go of his face, the corners would fall back to their original position. Izuku couldn't do what Shoto could do.

"What smile? Why I no do it?" Izuku questioned sadly. The focus was pulled from Shoto and was placed on Izuku. Shoto looked at the younger confused, Hizasi looked at him with a sad look in his eyes, and Aizawa pulls him to sit in his lap as he hugs the smallest of the group. "Smiling is a person's natural reaction to being happy. Moon smiled because he was really happy that he could make something that you really liked. And because he was proud that you made progress in your lessons. Right Moon?" Izuku looked over at Shoto who was nodding quickly.

"You don't have to worry about smiling. It will come naturally and when you are most happy, okay? Don't push yourself to feel happy when you're not, because then your smile will become fake and not shine as brightly as a real smile. Be patient and it will come naturally." Izuku nodded and responded with a small okay. Then the two moved to the floor and began to play with Izuku's dragons and the cats. Aizawa looked over at Hizashi, the blond shifting and leaning between the other's legs and against his back. The heroes cuddled together, watching the little 10-year-olds play on the floor. They were proud of the different pieces of progress each boy had achieved. 

There was a long way to go but progress was bound to continue and for this week they were focused on making the boys more comfortable and trusting of the heroes. It was domestic and worry-free. Each of the individuals soaked up the feeling of being around each other and an invisible bonding string seemed to form between each of them. They would all be okay eventually. They may face troubles in the future and the past may come to haunt them but in the present, it was just the four of them, a rainbow of dragons, and a puzzle being solved on the floor.

----------