What is a Birthday

Third POV

The days grow hotter as the year progresses into the month of July. It was early July when Hizashi reminded Aizawa that Izuku's birthday was July 15th. Hizashi brought up the idea of having a party but Aizawa was hesitant to agree. He commented that Izuku didn't do well with surprises or groups of people. Hizashi agrees with that but then restates that they don't have to have a surprise party nor do they have to invite a lot of people. He assessed that they could have it at the apartment and invite Nezu and Nemuri since the boys seemed to love Nezu and were tolerable of Nemuri.

Aizawa finally agreed and the two heroes began to order supplies for setting up the party and making a cake. Hizashi panicked slightly when he didn't know what to get the little neko as a present; but, Aizawa reminded the voice hero that the kid would probably be happy with anything since he'd never had anything before. Hizashi looked at his husband dejectedly, stating that he had to gift him something amazing to make up for all the birthday presents his little listener had missed out on. Aizawa just shook his head, grabbed his cup of coffee, and went to go check on the nekos in the living room.

Hizashi, giving up on getting help for his lazy and logical husband, turned to his energetic and expressive best friend. The phone call lasted all but an hour as Nemuri offered up suggestions and opinions on decorations and gifts. Once Hizashi had a plan for decorations, a list of gift ideas, and a confirmation that Nemuri would bring the cake, he emailed an invite to Nezu who replied scary fast (as if he was expecting the invite) confirming his attendance.

When the 15th did happen upon the Yamazawa household, Aizawa and Hizashi got up early to decorate the apartment before going to wake the nekos. The nekos woke up easily and when they sat up in bed Hizashi and Aizawa sang happy birthday. The neko's looked a little confused so Hizashi explained that it was Izuku's birthday. Izuku still looked confused so the heroes got the nekos dressed quickly and brought them to the living room which was decorated in green and cat decorations.

Aizawa POV

We brought the nekos out to the living room and the eyes got really big at the sight. "Wow! Pretty!" Izuku exclaimed shocked. The two nekos were looking around, examining and admiring all of the decorations that had been put up. I heard a knock at the door so I got up to answer it. Opening the door, I saw a rat and a nuisance. Sighing, I let them in, reminding them of the rules of the house and the rules of interaction with the nekos. Nezu nodded but Nemuri waved me off saying she had already memorized all the rules.

I got the box that Nezu had with him, slightly questioning the holes in the side of the box. We all got back into the living room and saw Izuku looking confused at the pile of gifts. He saw me and pointed at the pile, "What is this?" I looked at him before softly smiling, "They're your birthday gifts." Izuku looked at them curiously, looking at Shoto questioningly, who also looked slightly confused and shrugged his shoulders.

Turning back to face me and Zashi, who had come to stand by my side, Izuku questioned, "What is a birthday?" The room quieted and Hizashi and I looked at each other. We had considered the fact that Izuku might not know what a birthday is since he was kept in captivity all his life, but we had prayed that he had at least a little knowledge of it. We were about the respond when Shoto spoke up, "It's the day we celebrate our birth, I think. But I don't remember anything about the party part of it. Do birthdays come with parties?" Shoto questioned, looking up at us.

"That's right, little listener." Hizashi confirmed, "You have a party to celebrate the wonderous day of the world being blessed with your adorable and precious presence. The gifts at called presents and are given to the person whose birthday it is to show how much you care about them and appreciate them." Izuku looked back at the pile of gifts, "So it all for me?" I nodded, "Yes Sun, this party and those presents are just for you, to show you how much we all care for you and are happy that you came into this world."

Izuku looked amazed and asked if he could open them. With a yes from both heroes, he sat on the floor and began to unwrap and open the boxes. He was pleased with all of the gifts that included: hero toys, clothing, books, writing journals, and even a little plushy that looked a lot like Shoto. When he had pulled out the Shoto plushy he may not have been smiling but it was obvious how excited he was by the bright sparkle in his eyes.

"Moon! It like you" Shoto, who had been suspiciously quiet the whole time was shocked at the present but seemed amused by Izuku's reaction. "I got that custom-made so that if you two ever get separated for some reason you'll have the plush to still have a piece of the other around." Hizashi spoke up, "I am planning on getting you one as well Moon." I have to admit that that was both an adorable a smart gift on Zashi's part.

Izuku began to open another gift when I saw Shoto looking a little sad."What's wrong Moon?" I asked. Izuku paused his gifts and looked up at Shoto who was looking down at his own lap and wringing his hands together. "I didn't get a gift for Sun" he mumbled sadly. "That's okay little listener, you can get him on next year. We didn't really tell you about the party either so you didn't know to get a gift." Shoto looked up and we could see his eyes glassed with tears. Izuku had abandoned his gifts, opting to rush Shoto and give him a hug.

"Bu-But now how am I to sh-show how much I ap-appreciate him?!" He exclaimed, voice cracking as he tried holding back tears. Izuku hugged him tighter before speaking up, "You can be it Moon!" Shoto looked at Izuku with a confused look, "Huh?" "You be gift. You are best gift!" Shoto gave a small smile and nodded, "Okay, I'll be your gift. That way, I can never leave you."

The determined look on his face as he made the promise looked anything but intimidating. Zashi and Nemuri cooned over the adorable duo and I'll admit that I also found it very cute. While we were having this cute moment we were interrupted by a small meow. I looked around for Snow but remembered that she was left in our room. So what was meowing?! Another meow sounded and it came from the last present of the pile; Nezu's present.

I looked over at Nezu who was smiling innocently while sipping a cup of tea that he got from somewhere. "Nezu?" I gave him a slight glare when he looked directly at me, "Yes Shouta?" "Please tell me you didn't." Nezu smirked and fired back, "Whatever do you mean? I merely gifted Sun a present I knew he'd love." I shook my head again as Izuku and Shoto got up to approach the last box. I need coffee.

The nekos took off the lid of the box and there sat a little white Persian kitten. It looked up at Izuku and Shoto with big blue eyes. It was fluffy and Izuku immediately fell in love. He carefully picked it up and held it close to his chest as Shoto petted it gently. "She's female and was given to me by an acquaintance who just had a litter. She still needs a name, if you don't mind Sun."

Izuku looked up at Nezu in shock before looking down at the little kitten and thinking deeply. "Mmmm, Aoi?" Nezu nodded in agreement, "Beautiful, is it because of her eyes?" Izuku nodded. (Aoi is Japanese for blue). He set Aoi on the floor and followed her as she explored. The rest of the day was spent watching Disney movies and playing with Aoi. It was a good start to many birthdays to come.

---------------