Chapter {4} Destiny

Time had swiftly flowed, marking the end of an entire week. As September unfolded, the unmistakable signs of Winter's imminent arrival became increasingly apparent. Amidst the shifting environment, the academic pursuits at school seemed to be progressing seamlessly.

I was preparing to go on a coffee date Sienna had kindly suggested and afterwards, she would be my tour guide, revealing to me all the hidden and beautiful treasures of the city of Rome, which was my current abode.

I took in my reflection from my full-length mirror, my hair was let down from its usual bun, today I left it wild and free, with immaculate tendrils falling on either side of my face. I wore an earthly brown plaid belted hooded coat with my black leather pants and short black boots.

Satisfied with my work, I was about to walk out when my phone started ringing. The call read MOM. I excitedly picked it up. I hadn't spoken to my mom this whole week as I was swamped with schoolwork, not that it was a reasonable excuse.

"Mma, what a surprise!" I exclaimed as I sat on my bed.

"What a surprise indeed. How are you, my baby?" My mom's melodic voice asked.

"I'm fine, vhone?" I asked.

"Ndi hone after hearing your voice," She said making me smile. "How has school been?"

"School has been going well, I even made a new friend," I told her about Sienna and she laughed after hearing about we met.

"How is my other baby?" I knew she was referring to Thato, whom she considered her own child.

"She's fine and happy to finally be here," I told her.

"I miss you guys so much, this house feels lonely without my annoying babies but I'm proud of you sweetheart and I hope you remember to stay focused and achieve your goals," she admonitioned me but I could practically see her proud smile far across the world.

"I will."

We spoke for thirty more minutes, just catching up with each other before deciding to end our call.

I was late for my coffee date and that just cane to prove how punctuality and I couldn't be put in the same sentence.

I grabbed my small cross-body bag, stuffed in my wipes, a little bible, lipgloss, a portable mirror and some hand lotion.

I had already called a cab so I jogged down the stairs and made it into the living room where I found Thato dressed in an all-black outfit that consisted of black jeans, a jean jacket, a black sweater and thigh-high boot heels. She looked ready to go somewhere.

She had not noticed me as she was watching some Italian drama on our medium-sized TV.

"Morning girl, where are going so slayed up," I asked grabbing an apple from our fridge.

"Morning darling, I should be asking you the same question but anywho I am going with you wherever you are going." She seemed so nonchalant.

"And where exactly am I going?" I folded my hands across my chest. I would never be independent if everywhere I went she was behind me.

"I don't know, but I'm coming with," she persisted.

I sighed, "How did you know that I was going somewhere?"

"I heard the water running and since you aren't an early bird, I figured you had to be going somewhere. Without telling me," she emphasized the last sentence.

"I was going to tell you." I lied as I had just wanted to spend a with my other friend. What a bad person I was for excluding the one person who had been my sister and smile keeper for the longest time.