Chapter 4

"Now, there is a holdout of what I believe are bandits of some kind just north of the village. I'm not certain how far, but they are there. I believe that they will provide good practice for you." Elaborated Dietrich. The two had spent the better part of the day sharing information and learned skills between each other while watching and studying the village and it's inhabitants.

"I say that they are bandits because they look and dress the part: tattered rags and armor, wielding makeshift but deadly weaponry. They had a skull attached to a banner of some sorts. It almost seems as if this comes directly out of a child's book, and I know the direction is north because it does appear that sun rises and sets in the proper east and west positions." Said Dietrich. The sun was beginning to set and the two would not remain on the ridge for much longer.

"It does appear so, my German counterpart. They live as if it was the 15th century. I have noticed something peculiar." Said Katya. Dietrich waited for her to speak, and that she did.

"When using your binoculars, the etched rangefinder provides me with some knowledge. They have measured out streets. Each road is roughly three and a half meters wide." Said Katya. Dietrich raised a brow.

"So, you've taken the time to measure their streets? Why?" He asked.

"Surely, this Soviet has a higher reasoning for such...petty information." Pondered Dietrich.

"The distances do not make sense in meters. Why have the half increment on the road? Now, they are a smaller size than us, but listen to this: I measured a building out, three actually, and all of them have uniform measurements with half increments. I measured those cattle carts as well and found the same thing." Said Katya. Dietrich scoffed.

"So?" He asked, not sure what she was getting at.

"The measurements do not make sense in meters because I do not believe that they measure in meters. However, I think that they are measuring in arshin's! Five arshin's across for the street, two arshin's height for the ground floor of their building. Whole numbers! We now know how they measure things!" She exclaimed. Dietrich's eyes widened.

"Katya...that is brilliant! I would have never thought...I have much to learn from you." He stated. She looked to him.

"I have much to learn from you, as well."

XXX

The pair watched as the sun set, casting the village ahead of them in amber light. Dietrich had broken into his small stash of rations, giving some to Katya. She had only a few snack items as well, and the two enjoyed a dinner of crackers, dried meat, rock hard bread, and water.

"Perhaps we should steal some food on our way to the bandit encampment?" Proposed Katya. Dietrich shook his head.

"It is a reasonable request. We need the food to survive. However, I am sure neither of us want to eat crops for the rest of our lives. We will need to find a source of protein soon. Let us wait for the bandit camp tomorrow and see what bounties await us." Said Dietrich. He heard Katya put what little food she had away.

"Why wait for tomorrow? Surely we can sneak around during the night? I yearn for a hot meal with actual chunks of fresh meat, not the rations squandered by our commanders." Hissed Katya, tapping her bread bag angrily. Dietrich looked at her incredulously.

"We shall wait because...well..." The more that he thought about it, the more he realized that there truly was no reason to wait. Even if he wanted to be careful and play things safe, he would be lying if he was to say that he didn't need a freshly warm meal.