Chapter 19

Dietrich looked over the town of Spring's Bloom through his binoculars. The sun hung in the sky near what he would assume was the 10 o'clock position, casting the morning sun over the town.

The rains from before had let up nearly two days after the bandit village had been torched and Dietrich was all too happy to leave the bunker and restart the great hunt.

He had left early in the morning before the sun would begin it's rise. He had taken great consideration of the possibility that scouting groups from Spring's Bloom could be canvassing the area and made sure that his departure was discreet and hidden.

He had been well stocked, being given quality food from the stores they had taken over in their eradication of the village. The others had been made aware of his plans to scout the town and look for any sign of his quarry, especially the former prisoners.

They had stayed in the cellar while the rain fell, nursing their wounds and deficiencies enough to be able to travel alone. Dietrich had thanked them for their cooperation and agreement to stay silent.

Sehth'ker, despite poor treatment at the start and aggressive threats made towards her safety, decided to stay and help for the time being. Dietrich had thought her decision was strange, going as far as concerning himself with the possibility that she was committing espionage against them.

However, with all things considered, Dietrich did not believe she had an ulterior motive besides her own survival. He would always have a technological and physical advantage over her.

Should he need to, killing her would be no issue whether it was close or far. A human would always overpower a Thrask.

Among being more powerful than a Thrask, Dietrich had come to find out that Thrask eyes were much like a feline would be back on Earth: Incredible night vision and close up sight with poor color perception and long range eyesight.

It had explained why Kasma's coat was multiple strange colors. The purple and red were not as easily seen in the Thrask eye and were believed to be different than what they were. Whatever Thrask craftsman had built the coat must have believed the colors were of similar or the same shade.

Dietrich had jokingly brought the issue up with Kasma last night and the Thrask was genuinely confused. Dietrich had told him that his jacket was around four different colors and Kasma looked at him with complete disbelief.

And so, the whole cellar began to discuss such a revelation and how human eyes could see in a deeper spectrum than Thrask. And not just color was discussed, but everything else regarding vision, too.

Dietrich had asked why Kasma didn't see him right before his great escape if their vision was so good up close. The Thrask had scratched his chin with a claw and cocked his head, explaining that the man's uniform colors and patterns rendered him practically invisible when paired with the foliage.

Never once in Thrask history had someone used nature to conceal themselves, whether it be mud or branch. Natural fur patterns and "nature-colored" clothing were used to try and blend in should it be warranted, like with the scout that had died earlier.

Dietrich joked that purple and red might not be suited for camouflaging and Kasma laughed a bit before asking Dietrich to describe the colors that Thrask were not able to see.

Dietrich realized that such a task was fruitless and impossible, and let Kasma know that it would not happen.

But finding his way back to the present, Dietrich brought himself much, much closer to Spring's Bloom than he had ever done before.

He was well within sniping range, being nearly 250 meters away from the wall of the village. He had attached foliage to his a uniform in the places it could go and decided that using his zeltbahn as a smock would only help to disrupt the outline of a human body.