Chapter 6

Night fell. More guards were posted. Dietrich and Katya once again became the specter of fear that fell over the compound, shrouded in darkness that was only relieved by the spare torchlight that served to illuminate the interiors and exteriors. Dietrich turned to Katya, his face shrouded by his goggles and more dirt that he had smeared under them.

"The guards are stationary. I have not seen them move from their posts. Luck is on our side, Katya. We will move down our right hand side and cut across the opening between the barracks. There will be two guards for us to either kill or sneak by. Then, we can steal all of the food that we can carry." Said Dietrich. He beckoned for Katya to follow him and the two began to quietly make their way along their pre-determined path, rifles in hand and ready.

Their going was smooth, yet they did not move as slowly as they had been doing in recent history. The forest provided enough cover for them to maneuver silently and unseen. And now, they were in their pre operation position. Dietrich scanned the outpost once more, hoping that taking the time to be extra cautious would prove useful.

All it did, however, was prove that the guards stood stationary throughout their watch; As they had known. The man scratched his chin with a glove and began to think over any and all possible ways that the guards could be alerted.

"They could see us. They could hear us." Thought Dietrich. He then felt a light bulb turn on in his head, and he arched an arm, sniffing at his odorless armpit. His action caused Katya to perform the same action, and she recoiled a bit. Dietrich turned his head to look at her, feeling a small draft come in through the trees.

"I have deodorant. They will smell you on the wind like they did to me before. Give me your bag." Commanded Dietrich.

The Soviet shrugged and took off her bag, handing it to the man who accepted it. He put it over his shoulders and nodded to her. She nodded back and as quietly as he had been while sneaking on his hands and knees, he took off running towards the storeroom.

"Quick. Clean. No detection at all costs." Thought Dietrich. The shack he needed to be in was only twenty meters from his position. There were no guards on his path save for one that was right next to the door of the shack. When he got close to the wooden building, he slowed down and began to take small steps, ensuring a sneaky arrival. Dietrich slung his K98k, opting for a more "hands on" approach. He tip-toed in his boots all the way to the side of the shack. He could hear the felid on the other side sniff the air audibly and that was when he struck.

Dietrich rounded the corner sharply, grabbing the cat by its muzzle with one hand and clamping down so it couldn't call out. Simultaneously, he opened the door to the shack, pushing both himself and the felid inside just as it began to struggle. Dietrich pushed the door shut with a foot and then easily snapped the neck of the cat, softly laying the dead felid on the floor. He then tuned to look at the absolute treasure trove of food that he had stumbled on.

Fresh greens lay neatly organized on wooden crates and straw buckets. Fruits and vegetables were piled all over the place. Butchered meat, smoked, salted and raw, hung from hooks and strings all over the place from rafters. A whole ox had been cleaned and split in half, hanging from the ceiling on two large metal hooks. Cheese's of many types were carefully stacked. Potatoes were piled in a corner. Dietrich froze, not knowing where to properly start in the surprisingly spacious "shack" if that was what it could still be called.

"Real meat. Fresh meat." Dietrich's primal mind took over and he moved to a few of the pieces, unslinging Katya's bag in anticipation. He began to carefully choose what the two of them wanted the most, being that fresh me they desired so much.

Leg. Blackstrap. Ribs. He fit all that he could into Katya's bag. In fact, he had fit so much meat in there that he had no room for anything else. Dietrich looked around the storeroom, spying a decent sized fabric square. He went to it and unfolded it.