Chapter 20

Kasma stirred from his slumber, woken by the feeling that something was off. He looked around, blinking to let his eyes adjust to the inky blackness of the room.

There was an extremely faint yet strange natural aura that crept about the room, allowing Kasma to take in just enough light to make out the few finer details in his surroundings.

He saw the nails in the barrels of moon-drink. He could see the various unlit candles and lanterns which rested on the floors or placed on the walls. He could see each and every occupant of the cellar as they slept.

The human named Hudson slept in the back of the cellar on a bed. He was covered under a few blankets, and dozed silently. His helmet and flame weapon were next to each other at the foot of his bed.

Near the entrance laid Hiroshi, the human with squinty eyes and ornate sword of intricate build. It was unlike any other weapon that he had seen in the lands. He was sleeping on a small roll of carpets and bedding, with little more than a pillow and sheet for comfort.

The female human, Katya, was nestled under a horde of blankets on the far side of the room. She snores in an audible fashion, but not loud enough to cause discomfort when trying to fall asleep.

Kasma looked over to see that Sehth'ker was asleep on the floor as well, taking to an apparent custom build sleeping bag lined with fluffy material for warmth. She had a small pillow under her head and the tip of a dagger poking out from under it.

The former prisoners had all left the cellar, leaving the room emptier than usual. Their bedding locations had been scavenged by the humans, citing a lack of fur coat to keep them warm in the colder times.

And finally, Kasma shifted over to see that Dietrich's sleeping area was empty. He had not come back from his scouting trip two days earlier but Kasma did not worry too much.

He was aware that Dietrich was a capable monster, able to stay hidden. And if he was caught, he knew that the human could make short work of anybody that got in his way.

It still did not stop Kasma from worrying, however. The thought that Dietrich had been injured or captured sat heavy on his mind. Even if Dietrich was a twisted individual, he was still one of the only things in Kasma's life that seemed to have no ill intent.

Sitting up, Kasma looked over to the desk that was on the far side of the cellar and felt all of his fur stand on end. There was someone sitting at the desk, however he was unable to see the figure in its entirety. The area near the desk was too dark, even with the natural glow of the cellar.

His breathing hitched slightly, too quiet for the being at the desk to hear, however. Kasma activated a silent spell, one that enhanced his night vision and allowed him to see.

The room began to illuminate for Kasma, showering the entirety of the room in a dim and ethereal blue shroud. It was only visible to Kasma.

With wide eyes, he looked down to his hand, able to see the dim blue glow of the somatic proponent of the spell on his claw tips.

"The ward! It is gone from the cellars! But if Krisch'a placed it, then she is the only one who could remove it. Unless..." Kasma broke his thoughts and looked up to the desk, seeing none other than Dietrich Fischer.

He knew it was Dietrich by the shape of his helmet and by the boots and gaiters. That, and his rifle was propped against the desk.

Kasma calmed down a little, seeing that his "friend" had returned safe from harm. Kasma believed he may have been sleeping if it wasn't for the rigidness of the man's body, sitting straight and still like a school cub.