Chapter 5

Dietrich was nestled in the branches of a tree only a mere couple meters off the forest floor. He could see just enough by the grace of the moonlight that Katya was laying on the ground under some bushes beneath him. They had spent a few minutes devising a plan which would get the two guards over to them. Katya, to Dietrich's apparent luck, knew a few animal calls and they decided that the best way to lure those guards was to impersonate multiple animals. Dietrich thought that if the guards heard multiple animals, they would believe that the calls were being made by one of their species and they would investigate. Then, he would wait for the right moment and basically fall on them.

He looked down to her and she looked up to him. He gave a thumbs up and she began to call.

At first it was a bird chirping. Then it was a deer calling. And finally, a dog barking. Dietrich panned his head smoothly to see that the guards were aware of the calls, and in their drunken stupor, they began to walk over to them.

"Walking is a relative term. They are stumbling around like the fools that they are." Said Dietrich. Almost immediately, he reminded himself to never underestimate the enemy...no matter how furry they were. They were almost under the tree and Dietrich got a good look at their weaponry for the first time. The first bandit had a spear while the second had a short, curved blade sword of sorts. The first bandit moved right under the tree and stubbed one of his foot-paw toes on a rock. The bandit yowled and grabbed his paw, hopping around while trying to ease the pain. The second came up behind the first just as it seemed that his paw no longer hurt.

"Hh...Hushtar! Hitchy shl'aneths n'chardonz!" Dietrich attempted to listen to the sharp hissing language in clear detail for the first time since his arrival and the second he heard the language being spoken, he knew it wouldn't have mattered anyway. The drunk feline was slurring all throughout its sentence as he yelled, and it's pronunciation was unlike anything he had ever heard.

The second guard came right up behind the first and also spoke in a drunken tone, slurring through another sentence of guttural feline noises. Katya had fell silent, obviously waiting for him to fall on top of them, but Dietrich was just so taken back by their language that he felt himself freezing up in the branches of the tree.

After about twenty seconds of awkward silence, the second guard shouted off into the distance. The call was more like a screech, but it still carried the same connotation of a shout. When nothing replied, the second guard spoke to the first and then they looked off into the woods once more. The first was leaning heavily on his spear and the second one still swayed a fair bit. The second one laid a paw on the firsts shoulder and from his vantage point, Dietrich understood that these two males appeared to be close friends.

"Perhaps that have grown up together and made a living off of stealing from the innocent. Maybe they are not too far off from how I have had to survive the war." Thought Dietrich. His well intended wishes were cut short, however, when the first guard turned around and the second guard bent down on his knees. The first one unbuttoned the pants that he wore and Dietrich felt his eyes widen in surprise as the event below took place.

"Seriously? Are they mental?" He thought. The first guard let his head roll back in pleasure as the second one went to work, but in doing so, he looked up into the very tree that Dietrich was hiding in. The felines eyes went wide as he took notice of a most definitely alien sight above him. The man was able to regain his free will and he took it as his moment to strike. He propelled himself from the branches, aiming for the first guard's head with his hobnail boots.

The first guard, in a decidedly sober moment, jumped away right as he did. Dietrich immediately aimed for the second guard, who was still on his knees.