THIRTY NINE

RISHABH'S POV

"Sir" Ajay came into his living room and greeted me as soon as I reached his house.

"Ajay you better have a good reason for all this ....I have a very angry and upset wife crying at home because of me . " I responded not in a mood to greet him back now

"We need to talk in private " he said and I moved towards his study but he stopped me "sir this way please " he said pointing towards his guest room . I frowned but followed him . The only place I am a fan of drama is the court room and definitely not my life but it seems like my life is a big tv serial drama that my masa watches .

I entered the room and was shocked to see a child placed in a crib on the side of the bed and Ajay's wife was sitting on the sofa. I frowned and thought whose child is this . But right now the baby is definitely not my concern. I just hope Ajay is not in trouble because of the baby. Ajay is too good to hurt Meena like that.... what am I even thinking about? I scolded myself right now I need to focus on my married life .

"Meena please" Ajay said and she nodded at him then gave me a small smile like assuring and sympathizing with me ... She went outside after saying "he slept just now keep your voices low" in a strict teacher-like tone. why the hell is she even giving me that look as if sympathizing with me or assuring me I don't like this. I look at Ajay for an explanation. "Sir please sir down" he pleaded

"Ajay just come out with it .... Speak....now...." I said or rather order him irritated with the build up he is doing

"I am trying sir it is not that easy ....please sir sit down" he requested again and sighing I sat on a nearby chair

"Sir....so you know I went to Delhi....I was babycameibroughtishocked....." Ajay was babbling and I did not understand any word he spoke because of how fast he was saying it .

"Stup up Ajay" I screamed but immediately looked at the crib thankfully the baby was sleeping and didn't wake up . I glared at Ajay and spoke lowering my voice , "say slowly so that I can understand"

"Sir he is your child" Ajay said in one breath and I jumped from the chair immediately

"Are you out of your mind? Have you lost it completely?" I screamed on top of my voice and the baby started crying because of my screaming . Meena came running inside and took the baby from the crib and glaring at both of us left the room .

"What nonsense is this Ajay? Who the hell feed you this bullshit?" I asked him out of my wits thinking someone fooled my personal assistant .

"Sir please listen to me ...." He said and took a letter from his shirt pocket and forwarded it to me saying , "Read this simran wrote everything in this" Listening to simran's name I immediately took the letter .

"Simran Mishra?" I asked only one simran that came in my mind listening to simran's name

When Ajay said yes I took some deep breaths and asked with the hope I was giving myself  , "Ok is this some prank that you both are playing. Ajay this is not cool . Do you know how upset Kriti is because I cancel the trip ...this is not what I expect from you " hoping he says all this is stupid prank but when Ajay nodded his head in no I closed my eyes praying to each and every God to just help me sail whatever Strom is going to come in my life or already came in my life. "Since when are you on a first name basis with Simran ? Where is she? And why did she give you the letter ? She does have my phone number ." I ask him to delay reading that letter as long as I can

"Sir please read the letter then I will answer whatever questions you have "  Ajay said calmly. Seeing I cannot delay it more with trembling hands I open the letter

Dear Rishabh,

If you are reading this letter I must have been dead by now. And Ajay must be giving you this . I know this must have come as a shock to you and I am sorry that I am throwing you under the bus like this and leaving the world but I don't have much option with me. 

When I am writing this I am on the last stage of breast cancer where cancer has spread to my other organs too and doctors have given up hope of saving me .

The baby is our ...yours and mine . I was three months pregnant when I came to know about my cancer . I tried to fight it as long as I could.... believe me but even after a lot and a lot of chemo there was no hope for me.  I had to call Ajay and inform him ....I tried to call you ... I even came to jodhpur  but as filmy as it sounds the day I reached Jodhpur was your engagement day and I went back without informing you .

I understand if you don't want to associate yourself with our child as all that we had was a one night stand but I cannot trust anyone with our baby my parents when they came to know about my pregnancy broke all contact with me .

But he is our baby.... our child.... our blood ....I have left enough money for him and all my savings and investment details are with Ajay I had made you the legal guardian of our baby and my property till he turns 21 my will is with Ajay. Don't give him your name if you don't want to but please make sure he is safe and gets a good life. We both know this world is not the best place to leave a baby alone . If not as a Father take care of him as his uncle or as a friend of his death mother . This is my only request . I don't have anyone else to turn to.

If it's possible Just when my son is old enough to understand tell him his mother loved him and tried very hard to fight cancer for him....that his mother wanted to raise him and see him turning into a young brilliant and beautiful human....that his mother loved him........

Your friend and colleague
Simran

The words at the end of the letter had its ink spoiled because of the tears of simran  probably.

I sat down on sofa dejectedly my owns tears betraying me . What has fate played with us .