The Darkest Light

The floor had been the first to crack, the first to crumble.

Then the walls.

The ceiling, and now, everything else along with it.

Annabeth had won, she really had. Outsmarting the famous nemesis of her mother's past, yet her victory fell into a swift defeat as she began to slip off the edge.

Pulled by her foe's web, the daughter of Athena flew off the ledge, about to make a direct and painful entrance into the darkest pit known to the gods.

A hand caught hers. As Annabeth turned, a bronze blur flew by her head, cutting off the spider web connecting to her foot.

Looking up at her boyfriend, the man who had done everything labeled impossible, the man who despite his entire existence being against him, kept a smile on his face day, after day, after day.

All for her, he always said. Annabeth couldn't have been more fortunate to have him. Which is why she screamed at him...

"LET ME GO!" She cried, noticing immediately that her body weight was making his grip start to slip.

His stupidly perfect face flipped from looking at her, to his hand, just barely holding them to the edge.

A blonde teen suddenly appeared on a ladder, hovering above them.

"Leo! Just a little bit more!" The teen yelled upwards.

A scrawny, tanned fellow leaned over the side of the flying ship. "That's the lowest I can go without crashing the ship!" He called back.

The blonde let out a series of curses in both Greek and Roman.

"Jason, if you don't catch my girlfriend I'm coming after you." His dark hair lifted softly in the wind as Annabeth tried to process what he had just said.

"W-Wait NO-!" She realized all too late.

Gripping the edge with all his might, the son of Poseidon let out a roar, swinging Annabeth upwards with extraordinary strength.

Focusing all of his power into the swing, he felt himself lose the grip he had on the ledge.

The entire world seemed to slow down for Annabeth as she watched her beloved boyfriend slip, and begin to free fall towards certain death.

"I'll see you on the other side, Miss Independent." He seemingly whispered, yet she could hear ever word clear as day, as if the Fates wanted to torture her with the soft passion of his deep, loveable voice.

His body disappeared into the darkness.

Annabeth broke, struggling in Jason's grasp as she tried to jump in after him. She couldn't let him be in there alone. She just couldn't.

As determined as she was, Jason regretfully let a shock run through his veins before electrocuting Annabeth to the point where he could safely climb up the ladder, bringing her back on board.

"P-Percy..." Annabeth's last words were a whisper, falling unconscious against the wooden deck of the Argo II.

No one aboard the flying ship spoke. For they were still processing the fact...

The fact that the purest soul, was now a victim to the demons of Tartarus.

Forced to wade in the waters of the darkest dangers, faced with the impossible, yet again...

Annabeth hadn't left her room the entire day. Everyone on board had tried to cheer her up, but instead, she spent their flight time to the other side of the stupid doors, locked in her room.