Thirty-Five: Why so cruel?

#Ethan Gordon

She saved my life by using herself to stop the bullet, which made me afraid to lose her. I was unsure of how to experience the same pain that I did when my adoptive mother passed away in front of me. When I reminded myself of a picture of Marie lying on my hands silently, that terror came back. She was currently lying on the bed at the ER. I began to worry more about losing someone I cared about as I continued to consider that image of her. I was thinking deeply when I heard footsteps coming toward me.

"Are you feeling sad?" he approached me, walking up to the chair next to my table.

When he moved and stood in the direction towards me, I remained calm and also turned to confront him. I could tell by the way he smiled that he was aware of what had occurred but he chose to ignore it. But how could he treat the driver's entire family in such a horrible way?

"Why did you kill his family?" my words were finally out.

"You'd better know the rule than anyone else", he said, keeping his smile on his face and looking directly at me. "If someone violated the code of silence, there will be severe consequences. Those who dare to break it will not receive any mercy."

"How about the children and old people? They have nothing to do with it."

"Come one, they are together. They are family. Anything they know will be shared between them. If one knows, others must also be aware. For the sake of our business and the peace, I must kill them all."

"Business?" I started to remember what that man said in the fight. "Why illegal drug then?"

"Ethan," his voice became low and he put his arm on my shoulder. "No matter what, you are still my son and I just do for the sake of our family and our people."

"Family?" I smirked and looked at him in the eyes. "There is no such word in your mind, for you, only power matters."

I started to walk away and turned a little of my face to say something when he mentioned the word family. "If you don't want all your secrets revealed, don't touch my people. You know now that I am the target of many murder attempts because I am your son."

"He who is deaf, blind, and silent will live a hundred years in peace." He answered me and then turned to look at me slowly.

.......

I had no idea how long I had been sleeping in the bed, and when I finally started to gently open my eyes, my mother was the first person I saw. As she called my name and smiled at me in a state of euphoria, her eyes proved to me how much she cared for me. "Marie, I'm happy to see you back here. Now, how do you feel?"

"I'm fine, Mom, Please don't worry, Mum; I can still talk to you and smile at you."

"If I could go back in time, I wouldn't have told you about saving Ethan, since I could not believe you had to go through this."

"Mom, I've known something like this was going to happen ever since the day I married him, so don't worry too much."

"Don't say that." She embraced my arms and her eyes began to well up with tears. "Daughter, I apologize for putting you in this condition. All of that is my fault."

"Mom, don't cry, please. It is fine with me. Don't worry about me." I commented while wiping a tear that was falling down her cheek. "But, how did you know that he was in danger?"

"I overheard Gordon speaking to one man. He knew that there were some gangs trying to attack Ethan, but he chose to ignore it. He claimed he did so to test Ethan's strength."

"He is too cruel. What if his son is not capable enough and dies?"

A knock on the door interrupted our conversation, and I was shocked to find the man I had previously assumed to be heartless approaching me. He was still acting calmly.

"Ethan,'' mom called him and gave us a space, "I may leave now. You both can talk."

I said to her in a low voice, "Mom," but all she did was grin at me before turning to gaze at Ethan and exiting the room.

"Are you getting better now?" his tone seemed so gentle and calm.

"I am alright. Thanks for visiting me." I spoke while constantly turning my face to look at something else.

He asked, "Why saving me?" and slowly placed something on the table, but I didn't even glance at it.

"I am your guard. It is just my duty."

He still spoke politely, "Guard!" but had a small smirk. "Do you recognize this coin?"

"Coin?" I answered him and gave the coin a quick check, noticing that it was the coin that I had accidentally dropped when I had saved the guy when I was younger. How did he get that coin?

"Answer to my question," he commanded.

"I don't know about it." I distanced myself from his gaze while pretending to be so naïve. That should be me who asked him lots of questions; his family used a dirty trick to play a game with my life. If not, I would have not gone so far until now.

He continued to question me. "You don't know?" he asked. "I give you one more chance. How do you get this coin?"

"I said that I did not know. Do you not hear me?" after my speech, he immediately held my cheek, but I pretended to cough.

He kept questioning me, but when Laura's voice interrupted us, he instantly released his hold on me. Ethan remained still in his same manner as she cast a quick glance at the coin on the table before turning to face us.

She said, "I'm looking for you, Ethan."

He was moving the coin from the table and placing it in his pocket before asking, "Is there anything wrong?"

"Nothing is wrong, I simply worry about you. Also, I've heard that one of those guards has been badly injured."

"Is that the micro-man?" As soon as I heard her mention the injured man, I cut her off. "Is he okay?"

"Oh, it seems you care much about that guy, Mrs. Marie" Ethan was standing like a robot as she spoke while keeping an eye on him.

"Can you both leave me alone? I muttered and turned away from them both, but I could tell that Ethan's expression was quite tense.