Seventeen: An important work!

Hello, Readers

Welcome to the next chapter

Last night, I pretended to sleep in the bathroom while he was taking a shower in order to find all of his contacts and some information about him. When the time arrived, I ran to steal his phone to see if I could uncover anything beneficial, but I couldn't because it was password-protected. What makes me so curious about his secret? I did not even know what I wanted to search for.
....

The morning was wonderful, with strong sunlight streaming into my room via the window and the clock plainly showing the time. It wasn't the clock, but my eyes were opening faster and larger than usual while I was in someone's room. When he shoved me out of bed last night, I could feel the ache in my back. After he requested me to sleep on the sofa, he went insane and changed his mood every time I called him a crazy madman. My job was to protect Emma and follow them everywhere they went, but it was already 7 p.m. and I was sleeping in my pink panda pajamas on the bed. I painstakingly undressed, putting on my skinny black jeans, brushing my teeth, and putting on a jacket before sprinting to her room. The door was not shut when I arrived, and the voice of someone I despised came from the area inside it. They were discussing something. Emma dashed to the door where I was standing in a flash, tears streaming down her cheeks. She noticed me staring at her as if something had happened between him and her. Due to the sound, she made out loud, screaming at him, it appeared like they were both having an altercation. I turned around to see someone, as usual, standing silently and calmly in front of the window. My legs ran to reach her, as I noticed her seated on the bench beneath the tree, her hands covering her face. She was crying, and it was difficult to ignore how my tender heart pulled my legs to stand and sit next to her. I put my hand on her shoulder, and she moved my hand out of it almost as if she didn't know who I was.

''Leave me alone!'' she said, not turning her head to see me or even glancing at me. ''I want to be alone!''

''Emma!'' I called her name in a very low voice as it came out as whispering.'' Emma!''

She finally looked me in the eyes, and I was taken aback when she hugged me strongly with both arms around my shoulders, not tenderly. She appeared to be in a lot of pain from something. I had to find out as I began to question her about what I wanted to know.

''What happened?'' I asked and released her from hugging. ''You can tell me if you want. I am always listening!''

''Marie,'' she said without looking at my face to face.'' I can't tell you!''

My voice tightened as I saw her deep hurt right there in her heart. ''Okay, if you don't want to share, I won't force you.''

''Marie, do you have a happy family?'' she said, struggling to face me as her eyes were everywhere, but not on mine.

''I do have.'' quickly replied and it also touched my heart when she brought the word family back.'' I used to have a happy family just like the others, but____''

''But?'' she turned her face-to-face mine and it showed her quizzical expression when I paused my words.
''Tell me more!''

''My dad was in an accident when I was fourteen, my mom was sick, and my brother needed to go the university so I had to quit my studying to find some money to support both of them. Then my brother got in............''

''Accident?'' she was very curious as she tried to ask me more and more.'' Your brother got in what?''

''Let's forget about it!'' I tried to hide it from her because if she knew, she would ruin everything.

''My dad also got an accident and he got serious injuries, but he was lucky. After years, he recovered. I remembered last week I called my brother about dad's condition and he quickly came, but there was something wrong with his left leg. He did not tell anybody, but I noticed it was hard to walk. Just then the news showed his driver died in the car crash.''

My brain quickly reminded me of the accident that happened to that crazy guy last time. I was there and he silently broke his leg. ''Wait, you said about car crash!''

''Yes, his legs hurt and he did not go anywhere until dad asked him to check the area where was in the forest.''

"That was his important work?" I thought to myself that he, too, had a heart inside his head and body.

"Marie!" My ears did not hear anything from her calling as her hand reached my shoulder since my mind was lost in the last flashback when I first met him, and then my mind started to come back together. I handed her the soft-looking with the sad story within my heart and kept asking her something I wanted her to know, but she didn't notice. Ever!

''Do you know who the owner is?'' I asked, she emphasized the question by letting it hang in the air for a fraction of a second before responding.

"I don't know!" Emma replied.

"Emma," I called her as she was getting more attention to me in a quiet way. "Are you sad when someone we trust and care about betrayed us? Did you hate when they used us to be their toys? How did you feel when they love money more than us?"

She stayed silent for a moment as if she was considering my hidden questions. I was aware of what had occurred between her and her brother. The man on the microphone on my wedding day told me what happened the night she lost. I heard a conversation he had with his group. He was the one that caught her that night, among the other guys. I suppose it was her brother's intention. He had never allowed my life to be easy. He followed through on his promise. He'd ruin my life till it satisfied his voracious need.

"Marie, I screamed at my brother because he did not listen to me. Not even a minute! I want to go outside, but he did not allow me to."

"What?" When I heard what she said was different from what I expected, I screamed. I expected her to be enraged because of the genuine narrative behind that night, but it was not the case. With her brows arched, she expressed her curiosity.

"Your sound seemed weird!"

"No, I just wondered why he did not let you go outside!"

"He might think I was small and could not defend myself, " She said, looking sad." I want to go to the place my dad just bought. I am curious enough to see how big it is. Dad said it was a place for guard only!"

"It is not safe. That is why he did not allow you to go there!" I tried to comfort her.

"How did you know that?" She still kept asking me the hurtful question.

"It is not a good place for a small girl like you!"

"I am not a small girl anymore, Marie! I am eighteen. I am big enough to do what teenager does. I don't want to stay here just like my mom did. I want to go outside!" her voice came out completely loud and that made me get tenser when she said about mom.

"I should not call you Marie 'cause now you are the wife of my brother. I could not believe you became his wife!"

"I could not believe it either. I don't know if I should be happily married to the richest guy in the city or sad to be controlled by him like a prisoner!" the thought of the dark life always displayed in my head.

"I knew my brother more than anyone. He was hard to love anyone else after her."

"Her?" I repeated her last word referring to a girl she just mentioned.

"It was his ex-girlfriend! Her name is Laura. She was very beautiful and he loved her, but...."

"But?" Her cut piqued my interest, but we were already turning our heads to see where that strong voice came from when the voice of someone spread out loudly to catch our attention.

"Brother!" she hailed him from a distance while he stood there calmly and coolly watching our reactions.

"You come with me, Mrs. Marie!"

I remained silent as his dark blue eyes informed me what he planned to do to me after this.

Curiosity kills the cat!