Chapter Sixteen

Christie's POV

I opened my eyes and groaned. My head hurts so much.

James was staring right at me. I gave a weak smile and he returned it with a fake one. Is something wrong?

"She's awake" James said softly without looking away. I tried to sit up but the pain in my head didn't let me. I hissed in pain.

"Calm down and stay still" Dave said. Everyone gathered around me. By everyone I mean, Mum. Dad, Dave, Mira and James.

"What happened?" I asked.

"You don't remember?" Mira asked.

I shut my eyes trying to remember what happened and I did.

"Its not true right?" I asked, scared of the answer.

"We're sorry, princess" dad said.

I looked at mum and she was already crying. They lied to me. I can't believe my whole life was big a lie.

"I want to be alone" I said my voice breaking. No one made a move to leave.

"Please" I pleaded but held James hand to prevent him from leaving. I like being in his company when I'm upset. His presence calms me in a way.

Mum and dad kept apologizing as they left. I burst into tears as the door closed.

"Please don't cry" James pleaded. 

"They could have just told me" I said in tears.

I was sitting up with my back resting on the headboard. James sat beside me with his arm across my shoulders for support.

"But they love you" James said.

"Right. Yet they kept it away from me for 25 years" I said.

I was beyond hurt. I can't believe I was never part of the family, yet they didn't tell me. I deserved to know.

"They had their reasons for keeping it away from you. You should know that they would never hurt you intentionally" James said.

So, all along I am a Smith. The only heir to Smith Empire. Was James also aware?

"Trust me. I didn't know until today" he said when he noticed the look I was giving him.

Not wanting to speak again I kept quiet resting my head on James shoulder.

"You should hear them out" James said.

"For now, I don't want to" I said and closed my eyes.

My heart hurts, the people I call my family are in no way related to me. What happened to my real family? Did they abandon me? Or are they dead?

"You're crying again" James said sadly and hugged me.