13 ~ F.R.I.E.N.D.S

Ed Sheeran's Thinking Out Loud played while we drove in silence.
People did fall in love in mysterious ways. But as for me... I didn't want to fall in love again. Not after what Mark had done to me.

When they come, it's like a dream come true. Then they destroy you and move on.
Mark's probably had a girl head over heels for him by now, and here I was, afraid to move on because of him.
In my heart I wanted to admit it. I wanted to confess that Alessio's charms and teases had gotten me to fall for him. I wanted to give him the chance to say that I'm his girlfriend. I wanted to tell him he was making me jealous everytime he paid attention to another girl, but I wasn't going to. I wasn't going to make the same mistake twice; trust a man.
And the thought that I was never going to get married because of this never really stabbed my heart. I wasn't a fan of weddings when I was little anyways.

The volume of the song had gone down.

"Wanna see the city?" Alessio asked. He was slowing down. He stopped at NovoDel; a textiles company. The building was one of the highest in the city.

"Come on, I know how to get on the roof." Before I could say anything, Alessio had gotten out of the car and was holding the car door open for me. I crossed my arms and looked straight ahead. "I will not be part of your suicide plans."

"Just say you're scared of heights."

"Am not."

"Is so."

"Am not."

"Is. So," he sang.

"Argh." I got out and slammed the door. "Let's get this done with."

"You might wanna take off those show stoppers." He referred to my wedge heels.

"And what makes you even think the late workers in there are going to let a total stranger up the roof at this time of the night?" I quizzed, reading the time on my phone. 11:36.

"I got a key card," he winked.

____♡︎

Alessio got us in. There was no single soul in the lobby, and I wondered if such a huge company had security at all. I looked up for CCTV and spotted three; they were off.
"Are you sure this is safe," I stopped Alessio.

"What are you afraid of?" he asked.

"It feels like we're breaking in. Where did you get that key card?" I gave him a suspicious look.

"I'm not a thief, ok? I got good links, that's why. Now come on."

He held my hands and pulled me towards the elevator. My hands remained in his. I had gotten too comfortable to let go. When he pressed the number of the last floor, soft music began playing in the background. Alessio's hand and mine together was a perfect fit. The urge to cling to, and rest my head on his whole arm was strong. The soft music that played in the elevator was having its effect. Thankfully, when I was close to giving in, the elevator door dinged open.
We exchanged a long glance before he released my hand and stepped outside.

"Wait." Alessio took off his coat and got closer so that we were only an inch apart. He leaned in to cover my body with the coat. "It's really cold up here." He patted my shoulders and held my hands again.
"Just so you don't fall since you refused to take off those heels."

I yanked my hand out of his. "You're just pissed I get tall when I wear them."

"Ha! Heels or no heels, Destiny, I still have to look down at you. Just be submissive."

"What are you saying, Alessio?"
But he didn't answer me. After a long stare, he nudged his hands in his pocket and walked farther away. When I followed, I came to see the whole city in full view. The blended lights were beautiful. The skyscrapers were glorious. The city sure had great architects that needed to be appreciated. I felt powerful standing up there. A smile had traced my lips and I hadn't even noticed it.

Alessio had his eyes on me, a smile on his face too.
"What?" I blushed.
He stared for a while, then answered, "You're beautiful, that's what,"

I rolled my eyes and looked to my side to hide my reddened cheeks. Look away. Look away.

At last! He looked away, continuing to take in the breathtaking scene.

For fifteen minutes we stood in silence, each with our thoughts.
I hugged my body tighter because the night breeze was getting stronger.

"We've seen enough," he broke the silence. "Let's go."

"Thanks, Alessio, for tonight ... I ... I had a great time, although I do think you outdid it, it was still great," I genuinely smiled.

He saluted me and grinned. "You don't know how happy it makes me to hear that."

"Oh please, don't flatter yourself. It's good you gave yourself something good to remember since this is the last night we'll see each other like this."

I walked past him and towards the elevator. For sure his eyes were following me. When the elevator door dinged open, he called after me.
"Friends?"

I turned.

"If you won't give me that chance I'm dying for, then at least let's be good friends. Please, Destiny?"

I thought for a while.

I needed to stay away from Alessio, and agreeing to be his friend meant giving him a chance to try to win me over. And he was going to do just that until I went to bed with him. Or married him!

"Sorry, Alessio, but no. After this, I want you to.." Oh this hurts so bad. "I want you to stay away from me. Are.." I paused to search his eyes. He had a frown of confusion etched on his handsome features. "Are we clear?" I gulped.

He shook his head. "No, tiny, I have an addiction now, and that addiction is you. If you won't let me be your man, or friend, then I'm going to have to stalk you. Yes."

"You're mad."

He shrugged. "Not my fault you're so pretty."

____♡︎

WORD COUNT: 1041 words