21 ~ Pleasing

MATURE CONTENT IN LATER PART OF CHAPTER⚠︎

"Destiny?" a shaky voice called, forcing me to tear my gaze away from Alessio's craving eyes. I put my hand up to shield from the sun's rays, and squinted my eyes to see who it was. The physical structure of the person was very familiar, and as her face came to full view, I stiffened in Alessio's hold.

"Mrs. Brown." The wind that kissed my bare belly felt cold all of a sudden when Alessio's fingers left me. He shook my mom's hand as I sat up straight, confused about two things; why my mom looked so miserable and, what I was going to do about the sexual tension my boyfriend had stirred.

"Uh... I'll leave you two alone then," Alessio said after my mom signaled time alone with her daughter. Not particularly paying attention, my eyes followed Alessio as he walked to his beach chair beside mine, pulled his trunks over his swim briefs and treaded to the other side of the beach.

"How are you doing?" I asked, later on seething, that I had to be the first to speak. My mom was seated on Alessio's chair, closer than she'd been in two months. I hadn't spared her a glance because my eyes were going to give away how much I wanted to hug her. She didn't deserve to know that she was being missed.

My mom shifted in her seat as she leaned forward, elbows propping on her strong knees. I just focused on the beautiful blue water ahead, affording her only my side profile.

"You must hate me so much now," she uttered with a dispirited tone.

Such absurd thoughts. "I don't hate you, mom." I shook my head, " I've always wanted the best for you. Always."

"No. You've always been stubborn, that's what." She was angry, and her anger was fueling my rage.

I stood up.

"Don't you dare walk out on me, Destiny. I'm not leaving here until we settle this once and for all!" She'd obviously tried to keep her cool after I told her I didn't hate her, but I knew she was losing it.

"Settle? Does nothing to settle." Wearing the cover-up shirt dress I grabbed my bag, I walked out on her.  She of course followed me.

With her trailing behind me, we argued, our yelling drowned by the roaring sea and surrounding activities.
"You're being unreasonable, Destiny! If you would just give your father one last chance to prove-"

"To prove what?! Don't blab on and on about why he left because he wanted to make our lives better!"

"Yes!"

"No! Fucking no!" I stopped because my feet had kicked a certain kid's sand castle.The little boy looked up at me with a scowl. His face twitched in annoyance.
"Do you know how many hours I spent building this, lady?!"
And right there my mom caught up to me as she began talking.

"He staged that drama because he didn't want Coraline to get suspicious. She had the money he needed. He needed to get her trust to steal from her."

I couldn't believe my ears!

"How pathetic," I said with genuine disgust, pushing aside the offended little boy to close the gap between my mom and I. "So you're actually okay with him breaking that French lady's heart just to give us what we want?"

"He didn't have a choice. He wasn't getting hired by any company."

I scoffed. "Well, yeah. Who was interested in working with an average painter like him. He clearly wasted his life chasing something he wasn't good at."

My father had dropped out of school because he had a passion for art. His parents weren't so well off. He had crossed them when he abandoned his studies, but they were completely disappointed when he stole from them and fled to South Africa; his then new muse - where he met my mom and fell in love.