29 ~ The other suspect

Alessio

'I could very well beat your brother to death without even trying' wasn't very advisable to say when I thought about it. As a signal, Destiny raised and lowered her eyebrows, gesturing to me to go upstairs before Jason saw me. But I didn't move. She tried to distract him only to find out there was no use.

"What is he doing here?!"

It's my apartment by the way.

Destiny held him back by his shirt. I could almost see the flames in his angry eyes, and his hands were already balled up. "You came here for some more, huh?"

"Jason-"

He broke free from his sister's grip and came straight for my shirt. His face that kept twitching from the radiating hate, his eyes, his nose; all compellingly had a likeness to Destiny. The protective nature did run in the Brown's blood and it was admirable.

"Jason, let him go!"

"Let him- Are you crazy? Did he not cause you pain enough, Destiny? I'll make sure to show up at your trial and tell the court how you hit my sister!"

"What? I didn't-"

"Shut up!"

Since he wasn't expecting me to fight back, I did some damage by hitting his balls with my knee. He groaned in pain, involuntarily releasing me then dropping to the ground with his hands in between his legs.

"Are you ok?" Destiny asked, looking like she did not want to be in her brother's shoes. "Would you like some ice with that?"

Jason just muttered cusses while rocking back and forth on the floor.

"I'll take that as a yes." She marched to the kitchen.

I had a broken nose because I had allowed it. There were so many reasons why I hadn't fought back that day and my dignity was one of them. If I beat someone way younger than my age, that was considered bullying.

"I wasn't brought up to be a bully, Jason, don't make me one now."

He sneered, telling me how silly my words were. A failed attempt to get on his feet got him murmuring more profanities, and he told me he'd be very glad if I died in jail. His words, though I hated to admit, frightened me. I wasn't ready to give up my freedom for 25 years or more for a crime I didn't commit. Worst of it all, Caleb couldn't come up with something solid enough for my defense. No strong evidence to prove my innocence was sure to land me in an irreversible trouble on my next trial. Only heavens know the length I was willing to go to find the real culprit.

Destiny came crouching besides her brother as she told him there was no ice in the fridge. "Want me to go get you some from the grocery?"

"No! Don't... Don't leave me here with this monster."

"No one's a monster here, Jason."

"After he beat you up like that?" he frowned.

"Did you even listen to me when I explained the whole thing? It was my ex boyfriend who hit me: the dead one. His influence on Alessio and his friends that time was strong that's why Alessio got involved," she told him, looking up at me with an assuring smile.

"I thought you said he was the one who beat you up. That's how I heard it." Guilt began rolling up on his features. Seconds later, it was wiped off, replaced by bitterness. "But that doesn't justify anything. Him and his dead friend and other friends hurt you."

"And I'm on my knees, Jason."

I knelt in front of the teenager - the brother of my priceless treasure and future brother-in-law. The corner of his lips curved upward.