16 ~ Stabbed

Except for mom who's date delayed, we stepped into the restaurant, arm in arm with our dates. Rocha's was a popular venue in the city. The place was modern with a relaxing atmosphere. Warm service attended to the hungry customers until they were content with everything they desired.

The moment we were seated at a round table for six, a kind young man walked up to us. His smile emphasized his handsomeness, and before he could even speak, Jason had gone ahead and ordered already. When he was done blabbing, he turned to his girlfriend, Cynthia, and apologized for his rudeness. He then asked her what she would want. The young waiter waited patiently. I expected him to pull out a small book to jot down what was needed, but he didn't. I guess he had a good memory.

Cynthia, a very pretty girl- too pretty for my dumb brother actually- said she'd have the same thing her boyfriend was having. Then she giggled excitedly at Jason who was inching closer to her for a kiss.

I cleared my throat louder than necessary. Jason stared at me with rage in his eyes, and that's when Alessio nudged me lightly.
"You're no fun," he whispered.

I ignored him and stated my order.

The waiter nodded and moved on to Alessio who's phone rang that very second. He excused himself.

"And you, madam?"

My mom had zoned out completely. She was staring into space. I had to shake her to get her back.

"Mom?"

"Ye- yes?"

"Are you ok?"

"What would you want, madam?" came the waiter's soft voice

"Water would do for now. I'm really thirsty."

"Alright." He retreated to the restaurant's kitchen.

I wanted to ask if her date was ever going to show up, but the tension between us was still there. I didn't want to ruin the night for her. She wanted us to meet the new man in her life- our new father. I needed to give her the due respect. Like Jason had said, it was her life. She could make whatever decisions she wanted. Us being her children didn't have to limit that totally.

In the end, if she was happy, we were happy.

"What the fuck?!" Jason cursed out loud all of a sudden. He was up on his feet.

"Now you've lost it, Jason. This is not an arcade, sit your ass down!" I whispered, but then I noticed mom was up on her feet too. They all faced the same direction.

"Long time no fucking see, old man!" Jason roared again and I finally turned.

OH. MY-

"Jason, please behave."

"Behave? Do you not see him?"

"I do, Jason," my mom's voice was pleading. She held him, trying her best to calm him down.

"What's happening? Who's the man?" Cynthia asked me.

I looked back at him to get the perfect answer. "He's a scumbag."

I could not believe my eyes! After so many years, he was actually here!

Oh the odds!

"If you know what's best for you, you'll get out of here."

He was almost the same height as Jason now. He wore an expensive suit. His anchor beard and well combed hair was all white, but he looked the same from 16 years ago. The way he'd pushed my mother away when she was begging him not to leave. I remembered that scene too well because that day, I had just arrived from school, excited to tell my so-called father I had finally understood algebra! My mom back then had been clinging onto his arm like a tick on a dog, begging him!