18 ~ Official

Alessio

"Are you ok?" I asked genuinely, searching her eyes for the pain I had seen last night. Honestly, I couldn't decipher her emotions. Her eyes were hard to look into without being blinded by lust, especially when she looked so vulnerable on such a  sunny Sunday morning.

She left the kitchen, which was open to the living room, and began pacing around.

She stopped at my fish tank with no fish in it. "Where's the fish?" she asked with a tone that I hinted as emotionless.

I rubbed the back of my neck and looked away, a little embarrassed about what I was about to say, "I might have forgotten  to feed her for ... two weeks."

The fact that Destiny didn't take my confession seriously bothered me.

Now I got it! Lust replaced with concern, I could tell how she was feeling now: not okay.

She shrugged with indifference and headed for the glass sliding door opened out to a patio. She slid open the door and leaned on it for a while without moving, then after a long while, she closed it and came back inside.

I had been sitting on a kitchen stool, and I observed as she plopped her body down carelessly in the L shaped sofa. She sighed loud enough for me to hear her. A sigh of fatigue? Hurt?

I made my way to the living room where she was and sat beside her sprawled body, propping my elbows against my knees and leaning forward.

My reflection appeared on the flat screen TV I was facing. My hair was all tousled up, my face still white because it hadn't been washed this morning.

When I had woken up - barely even slept - my mind was all Destiny. I didn't even brush; just rushed to the guest room to see if my priceless possession was still there. I had wanted to send her to my room when I carried her sleeping body in, but the tiny angel on my left shoulder advised me against it. I didn't want to risk being in the same bed with someone I couldn't resist. Besides, it had been quite a dramatic night for her.

"Can I talk to you?" Destiny had suddenly sat up straight, legs crossed. One eye peered through the unkempt hair that had buried her face whole. I motioned directly to her and slowly, while enjoying the moment, cleared her dark hair to unveil what melts my heart all the time.

Her cheeks were as soft as a newborn's skin. She had bitten her lower lip with a sad expression etched.
"Do you think my mother still loves him?"

The question took me off guard, clearly. Was I to answer that?

"I mean he's a total buffoon and she knows that. He told her she wasn't her taste anymore, disrespected their bond and made her cry. He made Jason and I cry. She went through that hell of every single parent, the stress. Funding was and still is difficult. She knows I'm working - although I do less of that lately - but she knows I dedicated some of my school time to get things stable when I could be catching up more with school work, right? Right? She knows ... she knows right?"

I just kept nodding, not letting go of her face in my palms.

"She knows all this and she still went running back into his arms? Gosh, I just wonder how long she'd been hiding it from us. I feel so betrayed. She's such a ... such a ..."