24 ~ No Show

Destiny

The front door's knob rattled before the door creaked open, Alessio behind it. His actions as he swayed side by side and plopped down carelessly in the couch where I stood mirrored his drunken state.

He had deserted me at a Rentals and now he was drunk?!

Through his tipsiness, he looked up to my stare.

"Ohhh," he hiccuped, "An angel."

I crossed my arms and frowned.

"An unhappy angel," he said, ruffling his hair with his left hand; the back of it had a cut, probably caused by a very sharp knife.

"Did you get in a fight?" I sat by him to inspect the wound I wouldn't wish to ever have. Although the blood had dried, he winced when I touched it. "What happened?"

"I'll be fine." He made an attempt to get up when I pushed him back down.

"Stay here. I'll be right back."

In the kitchen, I got a Heinz Tomato Juice  from the refrigerator and poured to fill only half a glass cup.

"Here, drink up." I had to force him before he gulped the whole thing. The tomato juice was not going to expel the alcohol right away, but it sure was going to help overcome his hangover - that is if he had that much to drink.

"How many bottles did you have?"

"Bottles?" he belched. "I only had four shots of rum. I'm not that drunk, naana."

Naana was an old woman he was fond of back in London - the only being who respected him although he was a renowned rascal. Alessio had said he didn't like talking about his life at the orphanage with his best friend, so I didn't push him further. One of these days, I was going to warm his heart so he'd tell me everything and satisfy my curiosity.

"Come on," I breathlessly pulled the heavy casualty to his feet, then slung his arm round my shoulder to support him. "Make an effort, please. I have to make sure that wound doesn't get infected."

With a miracle, I managed to get Alessio upstairs and to the bathroom where I washed the deep cut with cold water. He stood quiet with eyes closed while the water from the faucet flowed onto the back of his hand.

By the time I applied ointment on the wound and wrapped his hand with a sterile bandage, he was fast asleep and snoring. Being the sister of a troublemaker and the daughter of a very good nurse did pay off. I was going to be a good wife for sure.

"Mm, you're so good," I heard Alessio whisper when I turned to leave. A smile had moulded on his thin lips. "You're mine," he whispered after a long silence in the room.

There was no reason for me to feel threatened, but I just couldn't help but feel that he wasn't referring to me.

____

Abigail had undone her braids, leaving her kinky afro sitting on her small head like a huge crown. She was occupied with coloring her lips with a blue lollipop, and when she called my name in excitement, I saw her dark blue tongue. She claimed her bag from the seat next to her so I could sit. It was 14 minutes before our professor walked in.

"I got a surprise for you!"

"Toffee?" I guessed, indifferent.

"Yes...and no."

"Then what?" I sighed frustratingly, in no mood for anything at that moment.

Abigail took her phone and commenced typing excitedly.