Ch-18: The Amazing Hawthorne Castle

The Hawthorne Castle loomed over us, still majestic even in ruins

The Hawthorne Castle loomed over us, still majestic even in ruins. Ivy and other climbers had taken over it. The stone fairies at the gates had turned green from algae growing on it. Trees were growing from cracks. The Castle was backed by a high mountain on two sides and a big lake on one side. There was only one way in.

Night birds were flying in search of prey. Fireflies and glittery insects which looked a lot like pixies, flitted around. Seeing us approaching, all of them went quiet. As if the Forest itself was anticipating what was going to happen.

We crossed the bridge above the lake. It was cut in between the forest and the castle to form a moat. The huge wrought iron gates were closed. Climbers had twisted through them to form a beautiful design.

"Let's perform the ritual for us to get in. The Castle has been closed for fifteen years, awaiting your return, the return of the True Queens. Without your blood, the Castle won't let anyone in. So, after repeating the words I taught you, drop your blood." Uncle Al said. Clara brought out the dagger which was going to be used to perform the ritual. It was really beautiful. It was a golden dagger with silver filigree and inlaid with precious stones like rubies, sapphires.

"Hawthorne Castle your rightful owners have returned. Open your gates wide and prepare to welcome them. We offer you our blood as proof of our identity. I, Princess Laurelia Irvin Hawthorne-" "I, Princess Emilia Adele Hawthorne " " Spill our blood here." Both of us said the words Uncle Al had taught us on our way together.

We took the dagger and held it in both of our hands. Then I slashed it over our joined palms. Red blood oozed out of the cut. We rubbed our hands over the hand shaped indent beside the gates. The wound healed instantly. The indent glowed golden. Then it was as if something shifted inside me, which Emilia felt too. It felt like the Castle connected with us.

A golden light swept over the whole Castle. It was so bright that even after we closed our eyes, we could see it. After a minute, it was finished. We slowly opened our eyes. What we saw amazed and surprised us.

The Castle was now looked new. It was shining. The climbers and trees were all cleared away. The wrought iron gates had transformed to really high golden gates, which was open for us to enter.

As we entered the castle, the stone fairies came to life and flew around us, showering us with some glittery dust. Then they settled back on their pedestals, inanimate.

All of our tiredness and soreness vanished. "This, this is the legendary Fairy Dust. We heard that the fairies bestow it on only the most deserving people. I feel so great now, good as new." Noah exclaimed. It did feel like that. "We had learnt that True Fairies have almost gone extinct. Fairy Dust is a very rare thing, rarer than Fae dust. Fae now live where they used to live and the fairies were betrayed by the Fae folk, which made them go into hiding." Natalie said.

We walked through the main stone laid path, admiring the beautiful Gardens. There was a fountain in the middle of the path, where the water was falling, which looked like sparkling diamonds even in the night.