36

Elijah

"Fucking useless, every one of you," I spit as I look around the building. Everything is burnt down, and I'm pretty sure I'm stepping on a body that was once Garrett. The damage is too extensive, so he has turned into nothing but ashes.

I breathe in, wanting to scream. They had one fucking job.

"We have some information on Stella." I perk up and look at Skylar who's walking around, trying not to get her white heels dirty. I shake my head internally. "She's been admitted to a hospital where she has undergone surgery to remove her fetus."

I raise my brow. "She was pregnant?"

Skylar nods, licking her lips as she looks at her iPad. "She was about 9 weeks along. But with the damage Garrett has done, the baby didn't survive. Add on the amount of stress she was under, it wouldn't have ended well either way."

She wasn't going to take this well. She always said how much she wanted a family. This is going to kill her, eat at her from the inside.

"Has father been to see her?"

Skylar looks down at her iPad, nodding slightly. "He's currently on his way as we speak. He got released out of hospital just a few days after the kidnapping."

I nod, licking my lips as I speak, "Okay, so what now? How long is she staying there for?"

It's silent for a while before she speaks up, "A few days. The doctors want to ensure she's not suffered too badly. Xavier hasn't left her side."

Of course he hasn't. He's gonna be watching her every move now. Following her along throughout the day, maybe even going as far as installing cameras in the bathroom to watch her.

Wouldn't fucking surprise me. Fucking perv.

Stella is so stupid to fall for his tricks. She thinks she can have a life with him? She won't be able to have a life with anyone. That's a promise I'm willing to keep. She was never meant to be his.

If Xavier dies, a piece of her is gonna die as well.

And maybe that's exactly what needs to happen.

Xavier

"When is she able to leave?" I ask the doctor in charge. I just really want to be able to take her home so I can take care of her. I've hired more security guards around the entire building and Ace has installed more cameras around the outside.

"We'd like to keep her for observation, just for a couple of days. I can assure you she's in excellent hands."

I nod. "I know that. But you can't guarantee her safety when just over a month ago she was kidnapped from the same exact hospital," I point out. "The only reason we're here and not anywhere else is because you have treated her father here before and I know just how much of an excellent care she's in. But it sure as hell doesn't stop me from worrying."

"I understand. We have guards around this whole hospital, sir. Your wife is safe here, I promise." He nods and walks off back to the room, probably telling Stella that she will be kept here for a few more days.

My heart beats faster at the mention of Stella being my wife. I don't try to correct him, I just let it be. It has a nice ring to it.

"Wife, you say? Did you marry her on the spot as soon as she woke up?"

I turn around to find Jack walking towards me. His face doesn't seem to hide his surprised expression.

"No. I don't want to go down on one knee when she's in a hospital bed. She deserves way more than that."

Jack nods his head as if to agree. "Sure. But I know for a fact that you thought about it." He points it out and smiles.

God damn, this man is too smart for his age.

"Do you want to go and see her? She wouldn't stop talking about how much she can't wait to see you." I smile at him and walk towards her door.

He doesn't say anything about the change of subject and just walks into the room. I don't enter behind him, I want to give them some privacy to talk. I didn't tell him about the pregnancy, it wasn't my news to share. I figured Stella would prefer to tell him on her own terms.

The news of the pregnancy have pretty much shattered everything I've been working towards. I have wanted nothing but a family with Stella and the fact that Garrett ruined it for me made me want to burn his body and listen to his screams of agony all over again.

That was our baby. My baby. It was a part of me and Stella, together.

And now there's nothing and it made Stella feel emptier than ever.

I swore that from this moment on, Stella will always be safe. My mistakes have put her in danger, not once but twice and it ends here, and anybody who tries to stop me will pay.

In blood.

I bring my phone out, ringing the one person I know I can always rely on.

"Ace. Book an appointment at the nearest clinic. As soon as Stella is out, she's getting another chip."

A couple clicks later, he answers, "Chip? Like a tracker chip?"

"Yes. She isn't disappearing out of my sight again."

"Of course. Done and set up. I'll see you soon." And with that he hangs up and I'm left alone in the hallway.

Jack and Stella might hate me for this, but it's for Stella's own safety, and I'll be damned if something happens to her again.

Not now, not ever. That's a promise.