37

Xavier

"No."

"What do you mean no?"

"I mean no. Simple as that." Stella stands her ground and god damn, she's so stubborn. Just like her father. I clench my fist, willing to calm myself before I say something stupid or lose my temper completely.

"Stella, if you don't get this chip then you'll be in even more danger. I'm looking out for you," I say, hoping she fucking listens.

"I'm always going to be a target as long as I'm with you, Xav. That's not going to change. So if you think for one second that a small chip inserted into my body will make me safe, then you're fucking wrong. If anything, I'll be more of a target then–" She keeps going but I tune her out for a few seconds.

"Well hold on. You said this chip will track her whereabouts right?" Jack asks and I nod.

"Yeah. I'll be able to track her if she goes out anywhere, and god forbid something happens, I know where to find her. The necklace she had was destroyed because Garrett took it off. Nobody would even know that she has a tracker inside her body."

I hear Stella laugh slightly and she shakes her head as I take a second to look at her. "The necklace you got me had a tracker?! And you didn't bother to tell me?"

"It was for your own safety, amore."

"Safety my ass, Xavier. You do not get to call me amore right now. I am not having a chip in my body, and that's final. Go stick it up your ass," She huffs and turns away from me.

I sigh, running a hand over my face and walk to the door. "We're not done talking about this." With that, I'm out the door.

God, she's infuriating. I'm trying to do nothing but protect her and yet I'm the bad guy in this situation. I just want to shower her with love and affection but she's making it very difficult. I know she's been through some shit, we both have but I think it's the least I can do.

I walk out of the hospital building, standing next to my parked car as I take out a cigarette and light it, taking a hit.

"I thought you stopped." Ace walks towards me, flicking his head towards the stick I'm holding. I look down at it and bring it to my lips again, inhaling as I look at him.

"I did. But I need one to calm me down," I shrug. It's true, I haven't smoked in a long while, didn't think I'd ever do it again, but I always kept a pack of cigarettes on me ever since Stella went missing and I don't think that will be changing anytime soon.

She might kill me, but at this point I don't care.

Ace nods his head, "But that one will turn into a few more, and a few more and before you know it, it's a full blown thing."

Again, I shrug, not really caring. If this kills me first, then so be it.

I take the last hit and throw the cigarette on the floor, stomping on it to take it out before heading back into the hospital.

"Ace. You booked Stella in for the chip?"

I turn around to look at him but the fucker disappeared. "Ace!"

I sigh, turning back to walk to Stella's room. I walk in, but Stella turns her back to me. I hear a small sniffle and my heart breaks into pieces at the thought of her crying because of me.

I walk to the other side of her bed, kneeling down to face her. "Baby." She has her eyes closed, doesn't even dare to open them to look at me but doesn't turn away either.

I kiss her nose, keeping my forehead on hers as I whisper again, "Baby. Look at me, please," I plead. This time she listens, opening her eyes and I watch as a stray tear falls down. I quickly wipe it with the pad of my thumb.

"Were you smoking?" She croaks out and I grab the glass of water beside me so she can take a couple of sips. I nod my head as I help her and then put the glass back.

"It calms me down," I admit, hoping she'd understand. She doesn't say anything, just nods her head. She wipes at her eyes slightly, and I look at her whispering, "I'm so sorry. I didn't want to make you cry."

"Well, you did. I thought there were no secrets between us?"

There it was. I knew this was coming. The right answer to that was obviously there isn't, but instead, my dumbass opens my mouth to say, "You never told me we were having a baby."

Fuck. I shouldn't have said that. I made the situation worse.

Stella pushes my hands away and turns around, yet again. She scoffs, "I had a right to not tell you about a baby that was inside my body. However, you had no right to leave out the fact that the necklace you put on my neck had a tracker inside it."

I walk around the other side of the bed and grab her wrists before she could even turn around. "That tracker was there for your own safety. You were getting into something really dangerous and there was no way I was gonna let you wander into my life without one."

"Wander?" She laughs. "You kissed me at that club. You kidnapped my father and me. No one else is to be blamed for this but yourself."

I tut, shaking my head. "Actually, you wanted me to kiss you."

"And you did. And look where that has gotten me! I'm in a hospital bed, scratched and bruised up with probably a lot of internal damage and a lifeless soul because I lost something I really fucking cared about, Xavier! So please, excuse me if my reaction to you putting a tracker inside my body because the one I had got ripped off of me was the wrong. Fucking. Reaction!"

Stella looks at me, tears now streaming down her red face. Even with all those bruises and cuts she was still beautiful.

I clench my fist, shaking my head and heading out the door. I could hear her crying, my heart breaking into even smaller pieces. Fuck, I love this woman so much and yet I'm leaving her to cry and mourn the loss of our baby by herself.

What the fuck was wrong with me?

____________________________

New chapter finally out!? I'm so sorry about this long wait, it's been a hectic couple of months.

But hey, I'm back now and with a new chapter.

I hope you guys enjoy.