chapter 28 - emotions

"this was the first ever painting I painted" he flips to a page of a painting of blended colours it looks like

"this was the first ever painting I painted" he flips to a page of a painting of blended colours it looks like. loads of blues, purples and blacks in different patterns that are swivelled together. I'm not good at explaining art because I'm not an artist but it's beautiful.

"the first thing?! wow" i flip through the book of different paintings, drawings. some in colours and most of the drawings in black and white.

he laughs at my response, standing behind me looking at all the other things he's created.

as I get further into the book it just keeps getting better.

I stare at awe at every single drawing or painting, astonished that Reece had this sort of talent.

"do they have a meaning?" I ask him, not looking up when I ask him as I'm too focused on the book infront of me.

"some of them do, some just about past experiences or strong messages and others I get inspiration from the world around me" he tells me, that pointing at one to which he goes to explain to me that one he got inspiration from the books he reads. which makes sense as the drawing is of an open book with life coming out of it. flowers blossoming out of the book, butterflies and stars all surrounded this book.

we are currently in Reece's room because I really wanted to see his art so I persuaded him and he finally caved in and said yes so here we are.

as I keep flicking through the pages one drawing that's in black and white catches my eye.

It's a black and white drawing of two sunflowers. very different although it's the same flower. one was healthy, the normal sunflower that you see. all of its petals on glowing towards the sun in the right hand corner and the other one was the opposite. petals trailed beneath it as some of them fell off, this one wasn't facing towards the sun, this one had no light. leaves and petals hanging on for dear life and some of them had fell already.

this must of had a meaning, such a specific and unique drawing must mean something. I stare at it for quite a moment tracing my hands along the first sunflower and then travelling down to the other one and it's petals and leaves at the bottom.

I look up at Reece and he's also starring down at the drawing, and a new emotion comes over his face. his eyes I can notice it especially. sadness?

yes he's shown upset and sadness to me before but not like this. i can tell that when he's looking at this it brings back a memory that hurts him. hurts him to even look at it.

I bring my hand to his giving it a tight squeeze which makes him look up at me, breaking his concentration from the drawing for a second.

I give him a warm smile, caressing the sides of his thumbs as he holds my hand.

"its a beautiful drawing" I tell him in a warm voice looking down at the drawing once more, trying to chose the right words to say.

I just feel him nod at my words agreeing with me. I look up at him and the same emotion is still written all over his face.