CHAPTER TWO

CHAPTER TWO.

The soft splash of the waterfall soothed Elly as she pushed her fingers through the soil, fixing the mess that the droids had made. The Meditation Gardens were supposed to be a place of perfection and serenity but Elly had spent the last three years shouting at gardening droids and complaining to the engineers about their programming. It was becoming exhausting.

The soil slipped through her fingers as she let out a soft huff. The Coruscant sun was high in the sky and midday was quickly disappearing but Elly hadn't left the Gardens since breakfast that morning. There had been so much to do and the droids had done none of it. She didn't mind. The Gardening soothed her.

The controlled and calculated movements were comfortable for her. They were predictable and unchanging, leaving her mind at ease. She grabbed the trowel from beside the hyacinths and dumped it into her bucket before she stood up. Her back ached and as she stretched her arms above her head, she felt it crack. A satisfied smile spread across her lips.

"Master Muloa," The familiar voice of Ahsoka made Elly pause. Her arms dropped and she turned around to the young Togruta. Her beautiful orange skin and soft smile always made Elly's heart warm. The youngling had always been a sweet friend and distraction from the Council's nagging. But she was a Padawan now, newly assigned to Anakin Skywalker and she had already seen battle on Christophsis.

"Yes?" Elly asked as she grabbed the bucket. Her right hand gestured for Ahsoka to follow as the two walked across the Gardens. Ahsoka stayed quiet for a moment and Elly glanced back, giving her an encouraging nod. All the Jedi were at lunch, they were alone and allowed to speak freely.

"I finished my classes for the day and considering that Skyg-Knight Skywalker is in a Council meeting, I was wondering if we could train together," Ahsoka asked, an almost anxious look on her face. Elly was stunned by the question but kept her composure. Ahsoka was merely a chick and Elly didn't even like the thought that she had flown the nest. Training her would only solidify that in her mind.

"No, Ahsoka. Not today," Elly decided simply as she slipped down the path. It was out of the way and led to a small supply closet where the droids and some gardening supplies were kept. Various trowels, forks, spades, rakes and an auto-composter lay stacked lazily in the corner. The droids were hidden away while Elly waited for the new software update.

"You never train with me. I'm old enough," Ahsoka disputed as she stood at the door. Her hip pressed against the metal frame. The automatic door sensed her and stayed open, letting the sunlight leak in.

"I will not train with you, Ahsoka. I'm sorry. Besides, I haven't eaten." The words escaped the blonde's lips but she knew there was a deeper issue. They both knew there was a deeper issue with this. Elly hadn't touched the lightsaber that hung around her waist for years and everybody knew it. Just nobody said it. Elly was glad. The shame it brought her was enough to suffocate her without the scrutiny of everyone else.