CHAPTER THREE

CHAPTER THREE.

The tool hut was small and cramped but provided enough space for what Elly needed to do. She wanted to get the software issues fixed. Her coding skills mainly came in useful with older droids which the gardening droids were. She had spent a few months learning how to code the droids for a mission. It had been an unnecessary honing of her abilities but it came in useful now.

Hel had left notes in the code where the issues were stemming from so Elly just had to work out how to fix them. Hel was right when she said that the code was old and clunky. It was seemingly written by an amateur at best. Elly knew she wasn't much better but even she could acknowledge its issues. It was too simplistic.

So, she worked to improve it. But the determination quickly turned into disappointment as she failed again and again to repair the droid. Her attempts had gone largely unsuccessful and the test droid continued to malfunction until she gave up. A frown on her lips as she stared at the code on her datapad. It should be working. She couldn't understand what she had done wrong.

"The flowers are wilting." Anakin's voice startled Elly and her head shot up to meet his gaze. He chuckled and she sent him a polite smile. She was friendly with Anakin, mostly due to him training Ahsoka and his connection to Obi-Wan. But their friendship had become strained after she was taken out of active duty and secluded herself.

"I'm trying to fix the droids. They're malfunctioning," Elly responded as she took the drive out of the back of the droid once again. Anakin walked in, letting the door whoosh shut behind him. He held out his hand for the datapad and Elly reluctantly passed it to him.

"Did the mechanics have a look?" Anakin asked as he scrolled through the code. Elly nodded.

"I gave it to them a few weeks ago. They were too busy to fix it." She usually wouldn't say anything. She wouldn't entertain conversation but this was something she knew Anakin could help her with. He had been building droids since he was a child. If someone knew anything about droid coding, it would be him.

"Can I?" He asked. Elly nodded, waving nonchalantly. He smiled and placed the datapad on the table. He then began to go through and fixed the code. Elly didn't even bother to look at how he did it. She knew that she wouldn't understand it but she was glad it worked. He then unplugged the driver from the datapad and put it back into the droid.

The droid came online without any issues and Elly grinned. Anakin then took the driver out and Elly raised an eyebrow. He had a mischievous glint in his eye and he pocketed the driver. Her face fell but his didn't.

"I helped you, now I want you to help me," Anakin said with a cheeky smile on his face. Elly crossed her arms over her chest. She hadn't entertained Anakin in conversation for months and she was suddenly beginning to regret it. He always had another motive, another reason for doing whatever he did.

"Anakin, I need that driver. You cannot hold it for ransom," She tried to keep herself polite but she wanted to steal it back. She knew whatever he would ask that it wouldn't be something good. She stood up from the chair and pushed it under the desk before she moved to stand in front of him.