CHAPTER NINE

CHAPTER NINE.

Elly hadn't slept as easily that night. She wished she had but something had changed. The meditation she had completed with Obi-Wan had made her more anxious. The tight feeling in the pit of her stomach was there that she just couldn't seem to ignore, no matter how much she tried to.

So, as the sun broke the horizon, she went to the Meditation Gardens to start the tasks for the day. Some of the plants needed dead-heading as they came to the end of the life cycle. It would be a big job but Elly knew she had to do it at some point. She had already been putting it off but she couldn't. Not anymore.

As the sun continued to rise, she worked quietly. Her hands getting dirtier and dirtier as her shoes got covered in dirt. The bucket she was taking around with her filled higher and higher with dead flowers and by the time breakfast had hit, she had composted three buckets. But before she could get to the fourth, Ahsoka appeared.

"Why are you here so early?" Ahsoka asked as she leant against the bench beside Elly. The blonde glanced up, not surprised by the presence of the Togruta. At some point in the past week, her ability to sense people before they visually appeared had returned. It had been so easy for people to sneak up on her a week ago but now, she could feel who was walking in the corridor outside the Gardens and who was walking towards her. It was such a stark difference. She had forgotten how nice it was to have that awareness.

"Is something wrong, 'soka?" Elly asked as she knelt back on her heels. Ahsoka shrugged and glanced back at the door. Anakin had walked with her to the Gardens on his way to his mission brief but he was gone now. The Clone Wars called his name.

"Anakin is being sent on a mission," She responded. Elly let out a soft 'ah' and Ahsoka frowned, staring down at the floor. Elly picked up the bucket and placed it on the bench before she held her hand out for Ahsoka to take.

"I'll come to breakfast with you," Elly said. Ahsoka took her hand and the pair went to the Gardener's hut before they headed to the mess hall. They sat down across from each other and Ahsoka quickly began talking. She explained what she knew about Anakin's mission and that she needed someone to continue her training with but she wasn't sure who it would be yet. Ahsoka knew that Obi-Wan usually took over her training if Anakin had gone away but she wasn't so sure what would happen this time.

Elly nearly offered to train her but then she remembered her position. Ahsoka was not her Padawan and Anakin had to ask her. She could not merely offer so she kept her mouth shut, sympathising with Ahsoka as much as she could.

But before they could finish their conversation, Obi-Wan appeared. He had been in the mess hall for most of the time she had been but it took until then for him to join them.

"Are you ready?" He asked as he looked down at Elly. She nodded her head and smiled softly at Ahsoka. She reached out and gently squeezed the girl's hand before she stood up.