108. Defending Your Life

EXT. DEARBORN, MICHIGAN – NIGHT

A man was running through the streets, chased by a car. He ducked into a laneway while the car continued along the road, and stood breathing heavily and clutched his chest. He looked behind him and saw nothing. When he turned around again, the car was facing him.

"That's impossible," the man said.

The car accelerated toward the man. He turned and ran, with the car close behind. He entered the door of an apartment building, ran up the stairs to at least the 9th floor and let himself in to an apartment, where he leaned against a wall panting.

"You're okay, you're okay," the man told himself. "Oh, you're okay."

The man heard the sound of an engine revving and turned in alarm. The car accelerated towards him and crushed him against the wall.

"No!"

EXT. DEARBORN, MICHIGAN – DAY

Sam, Alana and Dean pulled up to a crime scene and got out of the Impala.

Lucifer, in Sam's mind, called, "Sam."

Sam pressed his right thumb into his left hand.

"Feels wonky," Dean said.

"What?" Sam asked.

"Working a regular job."

"Bobby'll call if anything flares up on the Leviathan front," Alana reminded them.

Sam nodded. "In the meantime, you know you want to work this case, Dean. Cop on the wire sounded dumbfounded."

"No arguments," Dean agreed. "It's kind of nice, you know? We're due for a little cut and dry. And, uh..."

Sam, Alana and Dean held up FBI badges and a policeman let them through the "Do Not Cross" line.

"You seem good," Dean finished.

"I am," Sam replied. "For me. By the way... Thank you."

"For?"

"Amy. I know you didn't want to let her go, but it was the right thing to do. So, thanks."

"No problem."

Alana frowned. Perhaps he could hide his tell from his brother, but not from her. What had he done? She shook her head, brushing the thought away. They had a job to do, and she had to focus on that. But she would find out what her husband was hiding.

INT. MAN'S APARTMENT – DAY

Sam, Alana and Dean showed their IDs again and ducked under another "Do Not Cross" line.

"Welcome to Crazytown, population – one dead guy," the detective said.

"Who was he?" Sam asked.

"Uh, Matthew Hammond. Seems to have been crushed to death."

"By?" Dean and Alana questioned.