160. Stairway to Heaven

Sam was asleep on his bed. Loud rock music played and Sam jerked awake, pulling a gun on the intruder to see that it was Dean.

Dean shut off the music. "Nice reflexes. Better hair."

"What's wrong with you? I could have shot you." He checked his watch. "Why aren't you sleeping? We got in like two hours ago."

"Not tired. And we got work to do, so put on your dancing shoes, and let's boogie. We're gonna wake Alana."

Dean made his way to his and Alana's room and blasted the same song he'd done for Sam.

"Up and at 'em, baby."

Alana felt around and chucked a pillow at Dean, which missed him. "Seriously?"

"Sorry. Come on, get ready. Sylvie and the kids are already up."

"I need sleep, Dean. I am pregnant, mind you."

"I know you are."

Dean walked to the main room. Sam and Alana both walked in with a cup of coffee. Dean was packing his duffel on the table.

"All right. What's up?" Sam and Alana asked.

"I called Cas," Dean replied. "He said there's something going down in Missouri."

"What kind of something?" Alana wondered, sipping her coffee and smiled as she felt little arms wrapping around her. "Which little rascal is that?"

"Hi, Mommy," Aiden said.

"Hi, bud."

"He said he couldn't talk about it over the phone," Dean said.

"Why?" Sam asked again.

"Because he is a weird guy, okay? He's a weird, dorky, little guy. But he happens to have an army of angels behind him, and even though I hate to say it, if we're gonna take a shot at Metatron, he might be useful."

Dean went to put the First Blade into his duffel, but Sam noticed and his level of concern grew.

Sam frowned. "Well, do you think we need the First Blade? Why don't we just leave it here?" He pulled Gideon's hand away. "That's a dangerous knife. Only for grownups to touch, okay?"

Gideon pointed to the knife. "But it's cool and has teeth."

"Gideon, Uncle Sam is right," Alana said. "Only the grownups can touch it, even if it looks cool. Do you understand?"

He nodded. "No touch."

"That's right. No touch."

"We talked about this, and we decided that-" Dean began.

"No," Sam interrupted. "In all fairness, we didn't decide. You did."

"Okay, I decided that hockey stick that can kill anything might come in handy, so sue me."

Sylvie let out a sigh. "How many times have you all been around this block? Magic that powerful always comes at a price, and right now, we have no idea what that price is."

"I'm fine. I'm fan-friggin'-tastic."

Sam looked at his brother. "And we're glad. Honestly. We're not saying we bury this thing. We're saying we just save it for when we really need it. Crowley. Metatron. The big boss fights. You don't have to have it with you all the time, right? I mean, just leave it. Please."

Dean set the blade to the side. "No problem."

"Thank you," Sam and Alana replied.

---