163. Reichenbach

June 1, 2003

A young Cole woke up in bed, hearing the sounds of a struggle downstairs. He left the room, following the sounds of fighting. He saw a body on the ground downstairs and recognized it as he got closer.

Young Cole rushed down the stairs, slipping on a pool of blood at the bottom. "Dad? Dad." His father's throat was cut. "Dad?!" He started crying. "Daddy."

Around the corner, came a figure. He was holding a bloody knife. It was Dean.

PRESENT DAY

In the barn, Cole was recounting the story to Sam and Alana who were still tied up.

"And that was the night Dean Winchester murdered my father. And that's... that's why he's gonna die."

"I'm sorry," Sam and Alana apologized.

"I'm not looking for your sympathy, Sammy, Alana. I'm looking for your brother and husband. So, why don't you tell me where Dean-o is, and then I'll let you two go."

"That's not gonna happen."

"Really? Now, you know you brother/husband gave me the, uh, green light to put one between both your eyes, right?"

"Dean isn't... Dean isn't Dean right now," Sam told him. "Now, look, we don't know who you are..."

"Name's Cole. Listen, Sam, Alana... Every night... since I was 13 years old... Every night, I close my eyes and all I can see is your brother/husband and all that blood... and my daddy. Now... I know Dean is family and all, but he gave you two up. And you two have no reason to protect him -- none. So help me. Please."

"Look, I'm sorry about your dad. Whatever happened... Dean had a reason. I don't know how to tell you this. There are monsters out there."

"You think I don't know that? I did two tours in Iraq. Special Ops, Darfur... The Congo. I've seen suicide bombers and child soldiers so hopped up on speed they could barely talk. Oh, but they sure as hell could shoot an A.K."

"Not that kind of monster," Alana retorted.

"Don't tell me about monsters! 'Cause I've met my share."

"I mean vampires! Okay? Werewolves. The monsters under your bed. Look in the bags." Alana motioned with her head to the duffels sitting to the side. "Go on. Have a peek. They're right there."

Cole pulled a flask of holy water from Kennedy's bag. "I guess even psychos need to hydrate."

"It's holy water."

Cole rolled his eyes. "Holy cow."

"Look, we're not psychos. And she's not lying," Sam said.

"Well, you see, that's exactly what a psycho liar would say, so... see my dilemma?"

Cole set down his own backpack and pulled out a ball peen hammer. "I guess... We are just gonna have to do this the other way."

---

Inside a strip club in Kill Deer, North Dakota, Dean was watching a pole dancer and drinking. He reached up and touched her.

She slapped his hand away. "No touching. House rules."

"You sure about that?" Dean questioned, pulling a $20 bill from his wallet and laid it on the stage. He dared her with his eyes. "Go ahead. Pick it up."

The dancer shot him a disgusted look and moved to leave. "And we're done."

Dean grabbed her. "Hey, hey, hey. Song's not over, sweetheart."