two.

"is he always this rabid..?" i asked rain as he stood next to me, watching mountain, swiss and aether try and hold dewdrop down in a chair while papa emeritus iv tried to calm him down.

"we prefer gremlin, but not to this extreme.." rain mumbled, tilting his head slightly.

"rain, come here," papa exasperated, stepping away from dew, leaving the ghoul thrashing around in the chair. rain nodded, shuffling over and putting his hand on dew's shoulder.

dew growled, trying to swipe at rain but after a few moments, dew began to calm down, looking tired.

rain stepped back, aether and swiss holding up dew and walking him out of the dining hall.

"what was that?" i asked. "rain is a water ghoul, dew is a fire ghoul. if rain uses his abilities right, he can calm down dew from whatever is pissing him off," papa explained, gesturing to a seat at the table.

"oh, you have powers too," i nodded, not bothering to hide the sarcasm in my tone as i walked over to the seat papa had offered me.

papa chuckled, pushing my chair in and making sure i was comfortable before sitting at the head of the table right next to me.

"they do, not me." he smiled. i smiled to myself, looking over as i heard some rustling to my left.

rain was stumbling to the chair closest to me, mountain trying to hold him back and take his place next to me. rain swatted mountain's hands off of him and practically jumped into the seat, laughing at mountain as he huffed, walking around the table to sit in front of me.

i rose a brow at the masked ghouls, just getting a smile from rain, to which he got a glare from mountain.

"if you stay in the church, you must be a sister of sin." a woman stated, walking into the library i was exploring and slamming a book down on the table. i looked over, already seeing her glaring at me.

"oh.. me?" i asked. "yes you," she scoffed. i rolled my eyes, walking over to the table and looking down at the book.

it looked very old. it was covered by brown, worn out leather, the pages looking yellow and slightly tattered.

"this is the book of ghouls. you will study this and prove your knowledge day by day as you watch over the ghouls and papa emeritus. if you do not keep up, you will be banished by the church." the woman explained.

"so i'm a babysitter?" i rose a brow, looking down at the cover that had an upside down cross with a "g" going through it.

the woman scoffed, sliding the book in front of me before turning on her heal and walking out of the room.

i watched the door slam shut and waited for a moment before quickly flipping through the book to the fire ghoul page, seeing if there was a way to tame dew.

i almost missed it, but a triangle with a fire illustration next to it caught my eye.

i quickly turned back to the page, seeing either a completely different language, or some really bad handwriting.

i grumbled to myself, leaning closer to realize it was the ladder.

fire ghouls are high energy, explosive creatures that are very misunderstood.

in most situations, fire ghouls are just stressed, which makes them easy to irritate and set off. what you need to do, is try to be with them one on one and just sit in silence, letting them know you mean no harm.

if they except this, then they should slowly make their way towards you to get a better feel of what energy radiates off of you.

usually you've gained their trust if they've moved close to you, but there are some situations where a fire ghoul won't like what's coming off of you and will remain aggressive.