eight.

"you don't seem nervous," rain mumbled from next to me.

we had spent the last two days working on setting up the ministry. we had warned staff and the covenants, we've set up areas in each of the ghoul's room for them to rest the day of, and each ghoul has been making sure to take time to relax at the end of each day as to not build stress.

"why would i be? i trust you guys and i trust myself." i shrugged. rain glanced over, his tail twitching anxiously as he looked at the shared calendar on the wall of the common room.

"how do the moons affect you?" i asked after a few minutes of silence. "i dunno.. papa doesn't talk about them all that much." rain shrugged. "do you black out like mountain?" i continued, my head tilted as i looked at the water ghoul. rain nodded, "sometimes i have some memories, but they're all mundane. usually just me walking around the hallways." rain explained. i hummed, nodding.

"do you think i should be scared?" i asked, looking ahead of us across the room to the rest of the ghouls who were playing uno. rain was quiet for a moment, making me look over at him.

"we aren't entirely human, y/n. i think you should be cautious of us even when we're in full control of our thoughts and actions.." rain mumbled. "that's dehumanizing," i rolled my eyes. "which is why i'm telling you this. our primal instinct is always under the surface. anything can set it off." rain sighed.

"papa said that they only bring the best ghouls to the ministry. i doubt they would bring any of you here if you even had a scratch on your record," i started. "how dew got up here is beyond me." i breathed. rain chuckled softly.

"he was different before he found home." rain said. i looked over at the water ghoul, "what does that mean?" i asked.

"dew used to be like me. he used to be a water ghoul. when ifrit stepped down something in dew changed. one night he was a water ghoul, the next morning he was a fire ghoul." rain told me. "we used to call him sodo.."

"was he just as much of a dick then as he is now?" i teased with a smile. rain laughed, shaking his head. "only on stage. whenever he stepped of that platform he got quiet. i think he's more comfortable being a fire ghoul." rain grinned, staring at his fiery friend who had just thrown an uno card at aether's head, the rest of the ghouls and ghoulettes laughing.

"was he just as clingy?" i smiled. rain nodded, "probably even more than he is now. i think his aggressiveness with aether is just him showing that he loves aether and appreciates him." i hummed, this new information about dew being very interesting.

"how would he react if i called him sodo?" i smirked. rain looked over at me, shaking his head.

"last time someone called him sodo he cried."

third pov

"ugh.." rain groaned, losing uno to dew for the 4th time. "ha! i told you guys i was the best at this game! reigning champion!" dew bragged, tossing his hand down. aether rolled his eyes, picking up dew's cards and shuffling them as the rest of the ghouls encouraged dew's attitude.

"has anyone seen y/n?" mountain asked, taking his new hand of cards from aether and looking at them. "i think she's searching the book of ghouls for more answers about the super moon." swiss shrugged, smirking at his op hand. "i thought she was talking to papa.." rain stated, frowning at his hand consisting of only number cards.

"either way, she should be back soo-" aether started, getting cut off as y/n walked in.

"hey guys," y/n smiled, walking over to the circle. "y/n!!" swiss exclaimed. she chuckled, walking over to the multi ghoul and sitting in between him and rain.

"who's winning?" y/n asked. dew's eyes lit up. "me!" he yelled. y/n laughed, holding her fist out. dew grinned, fist bumping her, looking at the other ghouls after. "why can't you guys treat me like she does?" dew asked, obviously trying to piss off one of the ghouls. "because if we did you'd have an ego twice your size." aether said plainly, looking at his hand of cards. dew's jaw dropped as swiss started cackling, leaning against mountain.

y/n covered her mouth to hide her laugh as rain put his chin on her shoulder, facing behind them as he laughed quietly.

aether looked up from his hand to the fire ghoul, chuckling at the shocked look on dew's face.

"hoW DARE YOU?!" dew yelled, jumping up and pouncing on aether.

aether laughed, rolling over so dew was underneath him. the fire ghoul squirmed around, trying to get at aether but ultimately gave up, huffing.

y/n had let herself laugh, rain doing the same as he leaned against her.

swiss hadn't stopped laughing, which made mountain start laughing at swiss' out of control cackling.

"okay- okay.." swiss breathed as he calmed down, dew grumbling to himself as he sat in his spot. "who's going first?" swiss asked, rain giggling at the new competitive tone in his voice.

y/n took rain's hand, shuffling through it and putting down a red 9. sodo looked up, his eyes widening.

"YOU GUYS CAN'T TEAM-!"

rain and y/n laughed, looking over at aether to take his turn.

a red +2.

dew huffed, throwing his hand down, making the rest of the group start laughing.

948 words
just a small filler to make you guys attached to all the relationships between y/n and the ghouls🤭