00: Prologue

"What are you writing?" Jungkook questioned, eyeing the note book that I currently had my head buried into.

I stopped writing. The fingers holding my pen froze. I spaced out shortly looking at what I had written so far.

To do before I leave

"Y/n, I asked you something." Jungkook said, making me snap out of my stare. I bounced slightly as he sat down next to me on the bed, trying to get a glance of what I was writing.

I quickly shut the note book and looked up at him with a smile I really tried to make look genuine, "Nothing. Just girl things."

"Girl things? Like what, who you like?" Jungkook chuckled. I played along with his laugh in hopes of distracting myself from what went on on the inside.

If only that was my biggest concern.

I was born 22 years ago and all my life I've tried living with a positive mindset and always look as the cup half full rather than half empty.

I mean, you have to when you were diagnosed with lymphoma cancer at the age of 6.

I was sick most of the time during my 6th year in life. It was usually inexplicable and random fevers that kept me home. I frequently lost my appetite and therefore lost a lot of weight in that period of my life.

After a few months of the symptoms, my parents decided to take me to the doctor. At first my parents had thought it was nothing serious. A lot of young kids get sick often, due to all the bacteria and playing outdoors. But what they didn't expect was for the doctor to send me to an examination at the hospital and for the results to come back as cancer positive.

It was a hard time for my parents, but thanks to the doctors and the medical opportunities, I got cured.

At the age of 7, only 6 months after I was diagnosed, I was cancer free.

Even though it had been long since then and I had been very young, I still remembered the anxiety clearly. I remembered thinking I was gonna die. I remembered my parents' scared expressions when I got diagnosed. I remember having to be cheerful for my parents not to fall in deep, even though I was only a child.

I knew my mother cried when I wasn't there. I knew my father had to gather his all to be the strong one, but it was hard. So despite me only being at the edge of 7 then, I agreed with myself that I would try to be as bright as possible.

I learned from the experience, that being positive about things could get you far. It at least got me through the tough time. And it had been an active choice I made ever since.

Since then, I'd always tried to look at the bright side of things.

Which was how I met Jeon Jungkook. Well, roughly at least.

He was my partner in biology once in high school. He didn't want to do our assignment, claiming he didn't understand or even need to understand what the insides of a frog looked like.

A long story short, I made the assignment myself.

But when we were done being biology partners, Jungkook stuck by my side. Even though he took no part in our mutual assignment, which I by the way scored us an A in, we'd gotten friends.

He had a big mouth and talked whenever he got the opportunity. He was also curious as to why I was so focused on the assignment and why I seemed to be so optimistic about it.

It didn't take me long to open up about my experience with cancer. He was just so very easy to talk to. At that time I was 16, he was 17. And as much as he loved to talk, he was also a good listener.