11: Solve a Rubik's cube

13 days left.

Once again, I was up early and spending my morning in the hospital. And today it went beyond my only class for today and the last one of the week.

Earlier the same morning I had called my parents to tell them about how I went swimming last night and that my skin was still rather cold, and it felt like something had disrupted my brain.

Of course, they went to pick me up immediately and got me to the hospital to talk to my doctor about it. As usual they overreacted, which was one reason I had doubted whether to call them in the first place.

After the doctor had run some tests on me, he sat down to talk to me and my parents. I didn't bother listening, I knew he would just tell us that it was a symptom that accentuates my illness. Instead of being in the room, I decided to take a stroll around the hospital.

I went down a level by the elevator, walking past the children's area. I glanced inside one of the playrooms, observing the kids that seemed to not worry about whatever was happening right now.

I was like those once too. Until I realized the seriousness of the situation.

I adored the kids as they seemed to live like normal kids, despite some of them wearing casts and one of them having tubes through his nose. It upset me that they had to experience this at such a young age, but it also warmed my heart to see them having fun despite it.

I continued on, walking around for a few minutes before growing tired and bored and most of all just wanted to go home. I then made my way to the level my parents and doctor were at again. It was the level for people with rather life-threatening cases, but not acute.

I was slowly and sloppily making my way to my room, when I noticed a girl sitting in one of the lounges by herself. She looked around my age.

It wasn't unusual for people to sit in the couches and stare out of the big panorama windows that characterized the hospital, while doctors and nurses hurried up and down the hallway making the hospital look busy.

However the situation being that I only had two weeks left, I walked up to the girl and sat down in front of her.

"Hi." I said dryly to catch the girl's attention.

The girl snapped out of her thoughts and turned to look at me with a surprised look and downturned lips.

"Hi." She replied skeptically. She turned to look out the window again as a brief silence fell upon us.

"So, what are you thinking?" I asked curiously.

"Why?" She turned to look at me again with yet another skeptical expression.

"Something's bothering you I can tell. Sometimes it's great to talk about it with someone you don't know." I suggested with a small smile, trying to seem encouraging but not pushing.

"If I tell you, you won't be a stranger anymore." She scoffed, crossing her arms over her chest.

I kept quiet, thinking if I should just walk away as she seemed annoyed with me. And rightfully so, not everyone's fond of sharing what's closest to them. I knew that from myself.

But I also knew that I would've appreciated having someone to talk to about my situation. I would've loved if I could tell someone and get it all off my chest... But I couldn't just tell anyone.

The girl before me sighed, letting her arms fall down and rest beside her. She shifted in her spot, moving to sit on the edge of the couch, "I'm sorry, it's just... why'd you want to listen."

I looked at her with a daring smile, "I'm a great listener... but it's your call."

Maybe it was selfish to make her tell me her story. I most of all only went to her to get my mind off of my own.