As the trio walked closer, Puddleglum said softly, "Haven't got much to offer you. You're like cold and hard. Damp too, I shouldn't wonder." As the three walked towards him, Puddleglum walked backwards with a lamp hanging above. "Don't sleep a wink most likely, even if there isn't a thunderstorm or a flood or the wigwam doesn't fall down on top of us all." The three entered the wigwam. "We just have to make the best of it." He walked away.

The next day, birds chirped.

Jill awoke with a yawn and shook her friend. "Scrubb." She glanced around the wigwam.

Eustace lifted his head slightly as he commented, "Funny place."

"At least it's dry and warm."

"It's a wigwam. Like what Indians live in." He got out of bed.

He looked at the sky a moment, then back to Jill. "Who was he anyway? That chap last night."

Jill began getting up as she said, "I didn't much like his hand. They're like frogs." She slipped on a coat. I felt awful after sleeping in my clothes."

Eustace glanced back at Jill again. "I was just thinking how nice it was not to have to get dressed."

"Or wash, I suppose." She finished putting on her coat and let out a huff.

Cara smirked lightly as she combed her hair with her fingers. "You get used to it."

They stepped out of the wigwam and looked around.

"Listen to the birds," Jill said. "I wonder where the thingamies got to."

"The Marsh-wiggle?" Eustace and Cara replied.

"Hello," Eustace stated quietly as he pointed. "That must be him over there."

Puddleglum looked like he was fishing.

"I suppose we better go and speak to him," Jill said as Eustace and Cara began walking over, followed by Jill.

"Good morning, guests," Puddleglum greeted. "I say good, but it'll probably turn to rain." Eustace put a hand out in front of both Cara and Jill. "Or maybe snow; or fog. Or thunder. I dare say you didn't get any sleep."

"But we did," Jill said. "We had a very restful night."

"Ah, I see, you're trying to make the best of a bad job."

Eustace crossed his arms. "We had a very restful night." He put his hands on his hips. "Excuse me, but we didn't quite catch your name."

As he stood, Puddleglum said, "My name is Puddleglum." Eustace gestured toward him with a confused expression. "You're sure to forget it. I was just trying to catch a few eels to make an eel stew, though I suppose I won't get any and you wouldn't like it if I do."

"Why not?"

Puddleglum touched Eustace's shoulder with his fishing stick. "Boy," he tapped his shoulder, "it's against reason that you should like our vittles." He pulled his fishing stick back. "All the same. If you three could try to light the fire, no harm in trying, though of course, the wood will be wet."

"Where shall we light it?" Jill asked.

"Mmm?" he questioned as he stepped closer.

Eustace, in a louder voice, repeated Jill's question. "Where shall we light it?"

"Ah. You could light it in the wigwam, but then we'd all get smoke in our eyes. Or, you could light it outside and then the rain would come down and put it out. There's my tinderbox, except you won't know how to use it." He walked towards it.