As the nursemaid watched the four pass, she said, "They are so sweet at that age. It does seem such a pity." She wiped her nose with a handkerchief.

Puddleglum, Eustace, Jill and Cara were let out and they began walking around."

They watched as Giants passed them.

In a room, as a bed was being made, Jill said, "Oh, you are good. Thank you, everyone. You're so very nice."

"Just doing our job," one of the servants said.

"I can hardly wait for the feast. I wonder what I should wear. I will have to stay up for it, won't I?"

"You will. You certainly will."

"I wish it was tomorrow night already. I do hope the time goes quickly." She walked away.

"Poor little thing."

Cara found Jill and asked, "How goes the ploy to faux niceties?"

"Very well," Jill replied as she sniffed the air. "Something smells delicious!"

"That would be the kitchen. Come."

The two walked to the kitchen and met up with Puddleglum and Eustace.

As they watched the Giants cook, Eustace asked, "Are you preparing for the feast tomorrow night?"

"We are, young man," a Giant said.

"How exciting. What's that?"

"Oh, it smells lovely," Jill commented. "May I try it?"

"Why not," a Giant replied. "You're a growing child. We must fatten you up."

As Jill tasted the food, Cara frowned at the choice of word.

Cara wandered around the kitchen, searching for a way out where they wouldn't have to cross the courtyard. Unbeknownst to her, Eustace and Puddleglum had found the same escape route.

The food was soon taken away from Jill as the Giant didn't want her to spoil her lunch.

When lunchtime came around, they gathered around a small table surrounded by bigger tables.

As they ate, excluding Cara who wasn't hungry, Jill said, "I've never tasted venison before. Oh, this is scrumptious."

"All right, Pole, you don't have to over do it," Eustace told her.

"She's very good," Puddleglum complimented. "They all love her. I've tried to be friendly, but-"

"Uh, well, girls always do that sort of thing better than boys."

Cara smiled lightly at Jill as Puddleglum said, "Even boys do it better than Marsh-wiggles."

Jill glanced at Cara. "Aren't you going to eat?"

Cara shook her head. "I'm not hungry and something about this meal feels off."

As more venison was brought out, one of the Giants joked that the stag had said before its death, "Don't kill me. You won't enjoy me. I'm terrible chopped."

Instantly, Eustace and Puddleglum spit out their food and Jill looked between them, then to a horrified Cara, curiously.

"Not another bite," Puddleglum and Cara ordered.

"We've been eating talking stag, except for Cara," Eustace informed, his voice dropping to almost a whisper.

"It's an awful thing for animals to be killed at all for us to eat," Jill replied. "But I suppose to them if the animals here do talk, then- Cara, how'd you know?"

Cara shrugged. "I have no clue."

Puddleglum was still looking off in the distance as he shook his head slowly and said, "Oh dear. She doesn't understand."

"You've never lived here before, Pole," Eustace told his friend. "Some of Cara's and my closest friends were talking animals."

"I suppose so," Jill agreed, "but we have to eat."

Cara pursed her lips and said in a stern tone, "I would rather starve than eat the beings I vowed to protect."

Puddleglum warned quietly, "You brought down the anger of Aslan. That's what comes of not attending the signs."

Eustace glanced up. "I'm not too keen on gentle Giants." His head lowered. "We've got to make up right this afternoon."

Puddleglum nodded and Jill sat back with a sigh.

Cara's gaze was eerily cold as she glanced around at the Giants with disgust and rage.

The four left the table and made their way to the kitchen.

They entered to see that Giants were still baking and cooking. Cara narrowed her eyes, hearing one talk about a turkey.

As the four were making their way to the door, their escape, Jill said, "I'm not so sure afternoon is the best time."

"Oh, but it is," Puddleglum replied as they watched a Giant pass. "We're seen in the daylight. We can always say we're out for a walk."

"Which they wouldn't believe it they found us getting out at night," Eustace explained his friend. "Don't worry, Pole. We'll manage."

"I should hope so," Cara muttered. "The sooner we escape this den of iniquities, the better."