15

Eustace looked between the group before saying, "Well there's clearly not escape by night. Once we're in our rooms and the door's shut, we can't get out."

"How do we try to escape in daylight; we'll be seen," Puddleglum said. "Oh dear."

"Before dusk," Cara reasoned with a shrug.

Jill nodded. "Like Cara kind of said, afternoon could still be the best time." Puddleglum shook his head slowly. "When they're dozy after their midday meal."

Puddleglum's eyes widened. "Ooh! Good idea, Pole. Above all, we must be merry, bright. You two youngsters are not always in high spirits, you know." He began walking away. "Neither are you, Cara. You must watch me. I'll be ever so merry." He smiled. "And frolicsome." He hopped a little. "Frolicsome; yeah. They think I'm a funny fellow already. And you three thought I was sort of tipsy last night, didn't you."

"No," Jill and Eustace replied.

Cara nodded. "Perhaps a little, Puddleglum."

"Oh yes you did," Puddleglum said. "At least Cara is being honest."

"Oh no," Eustace stated.

"Well I do assure you it was, most of it was, uh, I thought it might come in- Anyway, we must appear to be happy here so the Giants won't suspect that we're plotting to escape."

Eustace uncrossed his arms. "And we'd better keep our eyes open and learn as much as we can about this place and how we are to escape from it."

"That is if we ever do escape."

Cara turned to him. "We will escape. I have faith in Aslan and in us to find out way out of this place. Jill must follow the signs. We will save the prince."

Eustace and Jill sighed at Puddleglum's comment and nodded at Cara's words.

The door opened and the nursemaid said, "Now my poppets, you must come see the King and Queen and all the court sitting out on the Hat. Always such a pretty sight. Come along." The four followed her out. "Come along."

The door closed behind them.

They walked through the halls and Cara looked at the walls, awe evident on her face.

The four stopped in the middle of this hall near a door. As the nursemaid passed, she said, "Now come along, come along."

"Seems we're not prisoners by day anyway," Eustace stated.

"Oh, they're really friendly," Jill commented. "Maybe we've nothing to fear after all."

They got outside just as the Queen was being carried out.

Jill placed a hand on Eustace's shoulder as she said, "They're not riding, they're walking."

"Well can you see any horses big enough to carry that lot?" Puddleglum asked.

"I can't imagine that Queen walking. If they're going around the palace all day, what chance of-"

"Shh!" Puddleglum and Cara interrupted.

"There she is," Eustace whispered.

"Down!" the Queen yelled, smiling at the four.

As she was lowered, Puddleglum smiled and waved at her.

"Oh no, he's being merry and bright," Eustace said, noticing a change in Jill's facial expression. "You let him get to your head."

Jill stepped closer and said in a bright tone, "Oh, Your Majesty, you're not going away, are you? You will be back soon?"

"But of course, my dear," the Queen replied. "We must be here for the Autumn Feast tomorrow night. We shall be back this evening."

"We're so longing for tomorrow night and we do love being here." Puddleglum raised a hand and Eustace pushed it down while Cara offered a small smile. "We do love be in here and while you're out, may we run over the whole castle and see evehthjng, mayn't we? So say yes," she nodded, "and we may come to the Feast."

"Oh." She chuckled. "You'll be there, my dear." She began laughing and one of her servants joined in. "Onward!"

The Queen's chair was lifted up and the male servant was still laughing. Jill, Puddleglum, Cara and Eustace began walking away.

The Queen and her servants left the castle ground.

The nursemaid laughed and turned to the four, looking down at them, before saying, "Now I've work to do, my poppets. I hope you can amuse yourselves."

"With the Queen's permission, we're going to explore the castle," Eustace told her.

"Why of course. You must feel at home, little ones, for the short time you're with us."

Jill looked at Eustace and whispered, "There you are. They don't mean to keep us their prisoner."

The nursemaid walked away.

As the four companions began walking away, a disturbing thought crossed Cara's mind. She doubted the Giants would let them leave willingly.

"Oh, what have we gotten ourselves into?" Cara whispered. "Ed, I miss you so, so much."